1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

yahoo mail and gmail blocked? Virus??

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by abjpaul, Sep 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. abjpaul

abjpaul Thread Starter

I support a network of 12 computers, all of which run through one hardware firewall. One computer on my network is getting a 404 error when trying to access www.gmail.com, or if they click the mail icon on yahoo.com. All other internet access seems ok on that station, and gmail and yahoo mail work on every other station.

I checked for blocked sites, allowed sites, and tried turning off the software firewall on that particular machine. The last reported problem by AVG Pro was startpage.cza INSTALL_FP6_WU_R88.EXE. All of my research on that showed that it was a false positive.

Any ideas?

2. support.clpafs

support.clpafs

I know I have been posting this resolution to many issues but it seems to work for sites that are being blocked.

Try changing your DNS server Ip Addresses on that particular machine, Not the router.

Primary: 208.67.222.222
    Secondary: 208.67.220.220

3. abjpaul

abjpaul Thread Starter

I changed the DNS servers on the afflicted machine with no change, so I set them back to what they were, which was modem defaults of 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2 which is what all the other workstations are using btw.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try anything at this point, I am baffled.

One other point, I did scan the registry for anything out of the ordinary, but did not find anything, though I am not an expert on registry entries.

4. support.clpafs

support.clpafs

Do you have any backups for this workstation? I'd suggest doing a system restore.

5. abjpaul

abjpaul Thread Starter

I suppose I could try a restore point. This particular workstation does not store any data, it's just to access our POS server, so no backup has been done. Besides Windows and IE there is really only one other necessary program to install.

I would assume that would fix the problem, either restore point or a wipe and rebuild, but it's bugging me that I can't find the cause.

6. support.clpafs

support.clpafs

Yeah, That happens alot with the computers at our schools, especially the high schools.

7. lara84

lara84

hey you just reconfigure the particular TCP/IP with DHCP not use static ip thr this is the only solution for that
    ------------------------
    lara
    http://www.sreevyshcorp.in

8. abjpaul

abjpaul Thread Starter

If I understand you correctly, I can't do what you are suggesting. Our network is set up with all hard coded IP addresses. Our server software requires every station to have a dedicated ip, so I can't use DHCP, or "obtain automatically". The modem uses DHCP, but once it's through the hardware firewall, every ip is assigned.

Again, 11 computers work fine, it is only one that can't access yahoo mail, or gmail.com. The ip setup is identical except for the individually assigned machine ip's.

9. abjpaul

abjpaul Thread Starter

Oh, I've also installed Firefox, and it has the same issue, so it's not IE7.

10. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Just for the sake of arguement, try hard coding the DNS resolution for the gmail.com and yahoo.com in the HOSTS file.

What happens when you try:
    mail.google.com
    yahoomail.com
    mail.yahoo.com

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752922

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice