1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Yahoo Messenger doesnt run and can't uninstall

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by metalfire, Dec 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. metalfire

metalfire Thread Starter

Hello,
    I can't seem to run my Yahoo Messenger, and when I go to Add/Remove programs it says it can find installload file? to remove it. Ive tried this several times and can't seem to get it off my pc.

2. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

3. metalfire

metalfire Thread Starter

Ok, I am running XP and I believe we had either Version 9 or 10, and it stopped running ever since my wife did the update when it asked for it. I've tried unistalling several times with all diff versions but when I do it through add/remove programs It says cannot load installlog file. And I have to go through msconfig to disable the yahoomsgr startup so I can manually delete the yahoo folder. Also with the newer versions it keeps stopping at 98% and freezes. I was able to install v8.1 last night but still didnt run and I was only able to remove the program properly once out of all the times ive uninstalled and reinstalled. My google chat and msn work fine, its just yahoo that's having problems. I've tried everything but it just doesnt want to install/work properly.

4. metalfire

metalfire Thread Starter

Oh yes, also when I thought it was fully installed and tried to run it ..sometimes it popped up a little message box "Cannot load Resource dll" if that helps too.

5. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

Try the latest version again in the link....try to wait out the 98 percent hanging..it may be checking the integrity of the files or you AV solution may be checking the file as well....give it several minutes on the 98 percent mark and see what happens...if no luck then empty your temp folder

Hit start
    Run
    Type in the following

%temp%

Ok

After the folder opens delete everything in it..some may refuse to delete as they are in use..so disregard the error
    Try the yahoo install again

6. metalfire

metalfire Thread Starter

Ok, I tried those steps and still the same thing. It doesnt finish the install, and when I try to uninstall it it says it can't find the install log. So each time I tried I had to manually remove everything again. Also I noticed there were hundreds of weird uninstall folders in my C:/windows folder all at the beginning. Are they supposed to be there or suspicious or have to do with anything? My virus scanner didnt catch anything.

7. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

Lets try a custom install and see what happens
    Rather than the install going to c/ programs
    Make a folder in the root of C and name it YahooM or something similar...just as long as you know what it is
    Change the path while installing to your created folder...the machine then should consider this a "first try"

I would be very careful about manually cleaning failed installs...this can create more problems than it fixes

As far as the odd files in your windows folder...am not sure...do they have KB listed in many of the file names

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970143

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice