1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Yahoo messenger

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by gtldy53, Jan 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gtldy53

gtldy53 Thread Starter

Have messenger on XP computer,using netscape browser, working fine last Wed., then I can't sign in on Thurs., uninstalled program, installed program, no go. Nothing changed in the computer to cause this. I have checked the proxy connections, and all seems to be fine, like it was before.
    Can someone help me?
    Thanks, SB

2. Papermoon

Papermoon

What happens when you try to connect?
    Do you get an error? If so, what is the error?
    Can you connect to the internet outside messenger?
    Have you installed any new security related software?

3. gtldy53

gtldy53 Thread Starter

Messenger tries to connect like normal, but doesn't. It comes back up with my username and password to try again. No error. Nothing. Yes, I have connection to everything else. No new security added.

4. Papermoon

Papermoon

Must you use a proxy? Maybe try going into the connection settings, and change it to no proxy. If you are at work, and must use a proxy, it's possible the proxy address has been changed. In that case, your network admin would have to provide the new one.
    Try signing into Yahoo's website.if you have a problem there, it could be that your password was changed without your knowledge. It has happened to a few people i know...........if someone knows your user name, they can use Yahoo's password rest if they know the answer to the security question.
    If you can sign into Yahoo's site, I would try reinstalling Messenger.

5. gtldy53

gtldy53 Thread Starter

gone into yahoo website, signed in, all was well, just to be sure tho, did change password, then uninstalled messenger, reinstalled it, no go. I am showing no proxy used on computer here at work. Am open to more suggestions,lol.

6. gtldy53

gtldy53 Thread Starter

my computer preferences says I have a direct connection to the internet.

7. Papermoon

Papermoon

wow, I am not sure, then....sounds like you have covered everything. Is it possible they have changed policy at your job to not allow messengers?
    Maybe someone else has some ideas!??

8. gtldy53

gtldy53 Thread Starter

Thanks Deej,
    I too believe it has something to do with a firewall, but I can't figure it out.... hopefully someone out there can give me another suggestion. Thanks for your time.
    S

9. Papermoon

Papermoon

your welcome!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537441

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice