1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Yamaha CD Writer - Firmware Updates

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BlackHorseman, Jun 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlackHorseman

BlackHorseman Thread Starter

Hello,

Well, I have a Yamaha CRW2100E CD creator (16-10-40). I was very pleased when I had purchased it, some 5 months ago. About a month ago, however, it began displaying whimsical behavior - for starters, it wouldn't recognize Samsung blank CDs. It used to, but... now I have 25 Samsung coasters on my desk. Then, it began refusing to read disks just created with it, though they could be read by other CD ROMs (this happened only with blank CDs of a particular manufacturer).

I feel this is only the beginning. I went to the shop that sold it to me (#[email protected]#*&%^@!%[email protected]#$%!!!!). The guy there suggested that I go to Yamaha's site and install a Firmware update to my CD burner from there.

Now, as I understand, the potential for causing damage with Firmware upgrades is great. Guess it would be a good idea to try reinstalling the driver first, or installing a newer version of it, but say it failes, what do you guys have to say about Firmware updates? Recommended? Any caveats I should know about?

Thanks,
    Daniel.

2. slipe

slipe

I’ve never had problems nor do you hear of many from installing firmware. It isn’t a very chancy operation if you follow the directions. I would do that first. Acer is the only manufacturer I have ever seen recommend not flashing the firmware unless you have a problem. Most recommend you keep up with the firmware updates even if you aren’t having problems – an indication they consider it safe.

That burner isn’t Yamaha’s best effort. It has a smoke and mirrors fake burn-proof, it is the only 16X burner I know of that isn’t true 16X and it is so noisy your neighbors probably know when you are using it. With their 20X they went to a true burn-proof, quieted it down and everyone had to go to zone-CLV by 20X.

I don’t understand how it can make a Samsung coaster if it won’t recognize the CD. Firmware often fixes the sort of problems you are having though. Get the latest update for your software as well.

3. BlackHorseman

BlackHorseman Thread Starter

Hi,

Firstly, thank you for the reply. Actually, my neighbours think I've started an underground airlift to Pakistan in my room. But it is noisy only when reading (or trying to read...) CDs, not during the actual burning process.

Yeah, well, I think Yamaha will not be my choice of a computer hardware manufacturer in the next few years...

The Samsung coasters - well, I have 25 CDs for which I have no use. Guess one of my friends is gonna get a present soon :).

I'll follow your advice.

Thanks again,
    Daniel.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/82238

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice