1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Yamaha or Sony

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by QBA, Nov 12, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. QBA

QBA Thread Starter

Hi

I'm ready to buy a CD writer and after I called around I got 2 prices

Yamaha: 16x10x40 189 $

Sony: 24x10x40 185$

I heard that Yamaha is better than Sony but again the speed are diferents.

what should I go for?

Thanks

Alex

2. drewwpb

drewwpb

Don't forget TDK 24x10x40 for $149....

3. deuce

deuce

I personally would go for the Sony (they are close, but I personally think Sony is just a little better then Yamaha) Although, do remember the TDK :D TDK has pretty good stuff and in this case is a lot ceaper than its competition... although personally I still go for the Sony on this one.

4. roqmon

roqmon

I personally had a 12X Sony and I had nothing but problems. Imade more coasters than than you could imagine.

I currently use a Plextor 12x-10x CDRW and have never had a problem since I got it in August 2000. The price is around $135 for the 16x burner (from pricewatch.com) Plextor was rated a Kick *** product by Maximum PC!! The 24X is about $158.

I also just got a Lite On 16x-10x CDRW for under $85 (for my wife's PC) and we have burned over have 40 CD's with no problems. It also had burnproof that makes it a non-coaster CDWR.

Have fun shopping!!

Roq

5. volrathxp

volrathxp

tdk's are a lot better and offer better performance. by far.

6. ronningfamily

ronningfamily

Will only work on XP with Nero.

If you are a Nero fan go for it.

Could not get my TDK to work with XP.

Was able to get my TDK to work with Nero, but it killed my built in burning functions that came with XP.

So far with my posts it appears that I am the only user that has his CD built in burning features killed with this install.

I did other tests with my old drive and Nero performed, but wiped out my built in burning functions on XP.

Good Luck, the TDK is nice. But not on Microsoft.com\hcl yet.

Look for CD-RW's with the Designed for XP Logo.

Mark

7. RGV312

RGV312

I have a Yamaha burner, and love it. I've heard from friends Plextor and TDK burners are good too.

8. ronningfamily

ronningfamily

A TDK has a Plextor Engine. It is a Plextor with the poplular brand name TDK.

If anybody has one of these running on XP, let me know if your built in burning features with Windows XP still work.

When I say built in, I mean when you copy your file to the CD Depository than click write to CD.

I belive there are some issues with CD Burning Software conflicting with the built in burning software for the XP which was created by Roxio and I think is a tailored version of Easy CD Basic 3+.

My built in recording features have been killed twice by Nero and Easy CD Creator! Able to GoBack because I have GoBack 3.1

Need Help!!

9. deuce

deuce

Interestung... when you say it has a plextar engine, do you mean just one part or more than a few parts? It looks as if we at TSG have uncovered yet another scam with in the past few days... just the other day I was working with this guy on a post in hardware and in the end he realized that his half cent cdrs that were 4x max (at least 2 or 3 years old) burnt at 24x just as good as the 24x discs... just don't cost as much. Apparently it doesn't matter what speed you buy they all record at the same max speed. :)

I just got my $150 "free money" check from Best Buy in the mail... :D so I am thinking I will use it on a CDRW. (It was a rebate on a 100GB HD :D) What do you guys suggest I get? I want something that will work fine with Xp as I am going to upgrade to that with in the next month. I was thinking the other day I would get the new Yamaha 24x10x40 but now I am not sure. Which is better in terms of quality, value and Xp compatibility... the Yamaha 24x10... the Sony 24x10... or the TDK 24x10?

10. ronningfamily

ronningfamily

If I had my money I would get the Yamaha. It has the XP Logo on the box. If you are using XP that is the one I would get.

If you got to www.microsoft.com\hcl (which stands for hardware compatibility list) they provide a very organized and extensive list of hardware that is supported by XP and all Windows OS's.

I just uninstalled a autoupdate I received from on the 25th which was Q309691, from a MSN support site I finally got some insight that this update may have reaked havoc on my built in XP functions therefore causijng Nero and Easy CD Creator to reak more havoc.

I will update you on this issue. Have ran into numerous users suffering from third party burning software with XP and new CD-RW's.

Again go with Yamaha or TDK. TDK forces you to use Nero. If you love Nero you will love the TDK.

Good Luck!

Mark Ronning

11. phrozenmayhem

phrozenmayhem

DO NOT GET YAMAHA! I don't care what ANYONE tells you. the 2100EZ is CRAP! I know, I have one.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58342

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice