1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

*Yawn* Nv4_disp

Discussion in 'Games' started by ACWalkerII, Aug 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ACWalkerII

ACWalkerII Thread Starter

Yes another one of those...

I figure you never know..? They may have come up with a fix for it or away to get around it.

I play the two MMOs EVEonline and World of Warcraft... or well I did tell I started getting this error anywhere from the second I load the game to 30 min after I've started playing.
    From what I can tell the only thing that never changes with this error is the error its self.

Well I was wrong there is one part of the error that changes, those numbers "0x00000000" they change each time the error comes up.

Just before this error comes up the computer starts to act as if its struggling to precoces the information on the screen. Freezes a few times going back to normal between each frees and then the last freeze starts out normal then a few seconds latter the mouse is free again and can be moved around and the sound comes back but the screen is still frozen and you cant interact with any thing. After a few seconds of that the mouse freezes as well does the music again and flash there is the blue screen with these same very words each time.

Computer stuffs:
    Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2
    BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.2GHz
    Memory: 1024MB RAM
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
    Video Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT
    -Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    -Chip type: GeForce 6600 GT
    -Display Memory: 128.0 MB

2. coppercode

coppercode

Hi. I know this is a really old thread, and I suspect OP has a new card by now anyways, but I just thought I'd post my similar experiences in case anyone is interested.

I play online games as well (namely, FFXI) and have had this same exact behavior with the freezing and everything. It used to only happen to crowded areas in the game, but now it happens all over, and frequently enough to prohibit gameplay.

I'm running on a EVGA 7600GT with the latest forceware. Since this was the El Cheapo card when I bought it less than 18 months ago, and given that I'm not what you'd call a 'hardcore gamer,' I just slapped it into my dev box with the stock cooling unit on it. Considering that the problem is becoming progressively worse, I suspect that the freezing and crashing is indicative of imminent burnout. Unfortunately I don't have another machine with a PCIE slot I can test it in.

Now, given the nature of online gaming, it's not hard to imagine that the card is probably overworked. In fact, most nights a week, while I'm sleeping, it slaves away, grinding out hundreds of character sprites in a crowded bastion where people set up their bazaars for the night.

Actually, I burned out my previous card on this game, but the symptoms were a bit different. It was a Radeon 9600 Pro, in a different box. The burnout manifested itself on my screen as lots of little white splotches flashing all over the screen, not unlike a fuzzy TV channel. Eventually the game would freeze (having to reboot) and I'd start getting corrupted graphics on my desktop.

I would've thought this to be a common problem for MMORPG gamers, since many people spend long hours playing and then leave the game idling overnight or while they work. I haven't had anything similar turn up from google searches though. Just thought I'd leave my thoughts here for anyone who is interested. I would advise MMORPG gamers to invest in aftermarket cooling, or else buy throwaway cards. These games demand some endurance out of your hardware.

3. coppercode

coppercode

* sorry double post. (removed)

4. McTimson

McTimson

These errors are almost always a hardware problem.

The most common problem is overheating, there might be a fan not working properly, or the heatsink is not making good contact with the GPU, or the card is simply clocked too high if you're overclocking it.

Power may also be an issue. The video card may not be getting enough power, which means the power supply is not doing its' job correctly. Cheap power supplies are cheap for a reason, and will not be able to handle a full load for a very long time before they burn out.

5. ACWalkerII

ACWalkerII Thread Starter

As coppercode said this is a very old thread but Ive found a few things that help with stopping this from happening.

McTimson says these are Hardware issues. Well he is right. My problem stems from one of my sticks of ram being shot (not sure how its still working with it in there) and heating. I placed a new 120mm exhaust fan in the back and attached a 80mm pci slot video card exhaust fan right under my video cards heat sink/fan to remove the hot air. doing these two things dropped the temp from about 50c to 33c at the CPU

on top of the new fans I inject cool air from an air conditioner using a house fan pulling air from the air conditioner in to a home made paper funnel hot glued to the side air port w/80mm fan further reducing the temp at the CPU to about 20c

Cleaning out any dust build up well help as well I used a compressed air tank standing about two and a half feet away spraying right in to the open case (out side using a shop vac to suck up as much dust as you can) The first burst of air knocked a cloud of dust in to my face so thick I felt as if I was drowning. Make sure to get all the dust possible out of the blades on your CPUs heat sink and blow off any dust build up on you're ram sticks and video cards heat sink.
    Large build ups of dust can act as if you had a layer of heat insulation and can keep heat in and no amount of cold air can cool it down.

McTimson thanks for that response ill look in to getting a new power supply. One i have now is like 5 years old

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/490091

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice