1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

yellow question mark

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by klw, May 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. klw

klw Thread Starter

Hi -------- I have the above against my " Multimedia Audio Controller " in device manager. My speakers and michrophone do not work on my p.c. and this may be the problem. It does not even recognise that I have speakers and mich. attached as they are greyed out in the " sounds and audio device properties " pop up. Also I have a tft monitor with grills for inbuilt speakers ( well I take it they are for that ) and do not get any sound out of my monitor.I feel they are related.

I downloaded a utility called " unknown device identifier 5.02 and this gave me the make and model no. of the audio card it is " sis7012 audio driver " and then proceeded to download the appropriate driver and tried to install. It failed with an error message of a red cross and 536870397 number is displayed.

I installed a satellite card a while back and wonder if there is a conflict of some sort with this.

Have you any ideas on how to get my speakers and michrophone working ?

Just thinking out loud -- why can't I just delete the Multimedia Audio Controller ( the 1 with the yellow question mark ) . It is listed under " other devices " in device manager and I have an entry further down in the device manager called " sound video and game controllers " this then has all the usual listings such as " audio drivers " and " media control devices " etc. doesen't this section contain all the relevant entries to enable my speakers and mich. to work ?

Many thanks in anticipation.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If this is the sound integrated into the MB, you need the motherboard drivers, and probably the audio drivers as well. They're available from the maker of the motherboard, or the system if it's a packaged system.

Let's not delete anything until we simply try re-installing the proper drivers. :)

3. klw

klw Thread Starter

Hi John -- Thanks for the reply so soon.

I have a drivers & utility disc that came with the p.c.. I have run it and it says that the motherboard is a Micro Star ms-6585. Should I be looking for the most up to date drivers off the Micro Star web site rather than re-installing the drivers off the utility disc as this is over 3 years old.

Also when you talk about audio drivers -- do you mean the ones that I have already tried to install or are there some others linked to the motherboard that I should be looking for, also where would I find out which audio drivers I would need to install if not the sis ones mentioned in the first post.

Many thanks in anticipation .............

4. JohnWill

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

Did sound ever work? Not being familiar with satellite card, did this have sound card with it?
    Was there a pci soundcard running before?
    I would go into safe mode and uninstall everything under sound and then reboot...if it is greyed out it has to be because Windows is confused or thinks nothing is there. Where it is greyed out in Control panel, can you scroll to another soundcard there?

6. klw

klw Thread Starter

Hi fellahs -- Thanks for the help so far. To fill you in on the whole picture. The sat. card is used to receive data via satellite for a stock market charting application. It is of the utmost importance that this has priority.

I am not sure if the sound was working before as I never attached speakers or used this particular p.c. for anything other than dedication for this charting application. The sat. card will most probably have audio options / drivers as it can used to view t.v. programs as well ( which I do not use it for that ). I do not have a lot of time at the moment to do some of the tips mentioned previously and will provide more info. as I have time. My gut is that the sat card audio drivers may have some sort of priority over the normal p.c. audio settings and that is causing the problem.

Is there any more info. there that is of help to be able to suggest a course of action to cure this ?

I will write some more when I have the time.

Many thanks in anticipation.

7. JohnWill

I can't imagine the satellite card being the issue here.

If you're worried about screwing something up, I'd suggest you do an image backup before tinkering, that way you can simply restore the image if you don't like the results.Backup

For boot image backups, I use Acronis True Image, available at NewEgg for $30 downloaded, search for Acronis.

8. jazz3000

jazz3000

9. klw

klw Thread Starter

Hi Guys --- Looks like I'm sorted after a lot of hassle and perserverance.
    Just to fill you in for future reference. The link you provided John ( most grateful by the way ) contained drivers for about 16 mother boards and of course mine wasen't listed there. Anyway to cut a long story short the guy from MSI ( when I eventually got through ) was very helpful. I downloaded their live monitor and it scanned my system for any drivers I was missing. It came up with a load. I downloaded the relevant ones and my sound is working now.

I have re-run the utility scan from MSI and according to them I still need a ton of stuff downloading including more drivers especially vga ( that's my graphics card right ? ), utilities and a bios download. Are all these absolutely necessary as my p.c. works fine it was just the sound that was the issue.

The " multimedia audio controller " entry that was listed in the device manager with the yellow question mark against it has now disappeared altogether.

Anyway thanks again everybody for your help.

10. klw

klw Thread Starter

Come to think of it my screen is slow refreshing sometimes. Should I go ahead and download those vga drivers ?

Thanks in anticipation ...........

11. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

If you do not have the right drivers, Windows will substitute generic ones. They are often less than optimal.

The makers drivers are recommended.

12. klw

klw Thread Starter

OK Thanks for that kiwiguy. I will do that. Will they over write the drivers in use ? I was thinking of deleting them after installing the correct drivers. Is there a way to locate and delete the then obsolete drivers to stop my pc becoming cluttered ?

Many thanks in anticipation .

13. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

They will overwrite key files in key places, but an archive will be kept by Windows to enable the "roll back" ability - very useful. Trying to delete the old one would almost certainly mean an urgent call for help!

You should always save the drivers in a folder when you download them and before you install them.
    Never choose "Install" from the download or you will not end up with a copy to archive.

After installation you should archive the drivers downlaoded to a CD for next time they are needed (and they will be needed...)

14. aspy78

aspy78

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
    download and see if you can identify what specific device your looking for a driver for. Luck Jazz

*i downloaded that tool and under network drives, it says "none detected"

i have not been able to access my wireless internet, and i believe that this has something to do with it? help please!

it is a gateway MX6214 3403067 using XP SP2

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/573657

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice