1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

yes i know, but its not my fault...hes a doctor!

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by tshope, Jun 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tshope

tshope Thread Starter

first off its worth mentioning that i work in IT at a hospital. one of our doctors is running aol 9 on his office pc. yes its nonstandard and a pain in the ***...but as i said, hes a doctor and im lowly IT so he gets to keep it. either way, the problem is that whenever he DLs an email attachement it brings up the little "what do you want to do with this file" window your options are save, or save and open...why you have no option to simply open without saving ill never know...but whatever. either one you pic causes aol to lock up. the file is saved though. if you repeat the process and open the attachment that has already been saved, it works fine, which means you have to open your email, try to open the attachment, crash aol, re-run aol, and then you get to view your file. needless to say our doctor does not like this. and i know exactly **** about aol. please help someone!

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

FIrst off, lose the profanity if you plan on staying around for more than one post.

Maybe if AOL is sufficiently buggy, he'll see the light? ;)

3. tshope

tshope Thread Starter

sorry for the profanity. although ive never really heard of anyone getting banned over a series of asterisks. but i will respect the will of the moderator.

and i do wish that he would see the light but hes far too stubborn for that. he'd rather yell and scream at me all day long than acctually have to use a functional program. i dont know if you know many doctors but the additude is generally of "i am so far above you that i do not waste my precious time listening to you talk even if what you say is perfectly logical."

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can be the first. ;)
    I don't know what to say, I stay far away from AOL. If a client insists on using it, he normally gets a fresh install of Windows and a fresh install of AOL. I get out of town before it corrupts his machine and we have to start over. :D

Plan B would be to tell him you have to reformat and re-install AOL, then he has to fix up all his bookmarks, etc. If he has to do that enough, maybe that'll sink in.

5. farside2007

farside2007

Everytime I attempt to download an attachment from aol my computer locks up. I have another computer in my office with virtually the same set up and this does not occur. Other than attempting to reload AOL is there any other known solution?

Thank you for your help

6. 1101doc

1101doc

Look. AOL is a disaster on so many levels that it's just not worth trying to "fix." The only person I know that uses AOL without problems is using Win98. Get a better client. Period.

7. smeegle

smeegle

I'll just toss in my two cents about AOL. It went downhill when AOL 6 came out. I cancelled it years ago.
    Have you tried asking AOL support about this? Maybe you'll get someone who speaks English.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!