1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

yet another BSOD - please help

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mully4235, Jul 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mully4235

mully4235 Thread Starter

I will never buy another Dell computer again. In the less than three years that I have had this computer I have had more problems with it than with all of my other computers combimed, including the hard drive dying after only owning it for less than six months.

I have received yet another blue screen of death. The computer was working fine last night. I went to bed, all was great, didn't shut the computer down, but I have been doing that a lot for the last few months. I woke up and tried to get online. The screen started blinking. It wouldn't stop and only got worse when I tried to do anything on it. I managed to get it shut down between the blinking and when I turned it back on the blinking got worse. I have to type in a password to get to the desktop and it was almost impossible to get the letters in. The screen was a mess and it never went to the desktop. I got a bsod that said this:

The problem seems to be caused by the following file: nv4_disp

The device driver got stuck in an infinite loop. This usually indicates problem with the device itself or with the device driver programming the hardware incorrectly.

STOP: 0x000000EA (0x82D1B2D0, 0x82BD7200, 0xF8A25CB4, 0x00000001)

So, is there any hope of fixing this without losing everything on the computer?

I have windows xp
    not quite sure what else you need to know.

2. valis

valis Moderator

everything I see when I google it states that it is a corrupt video driver. Have you installed a new video card recently? If not, you may want to install the latest drivers from the mfg.

3. mully4235

mully4235 Thread Starter

I haven't installed a new video card. The only thing I have installed lately was about a week and a half ago, I installed software and drivers for my cell phone. But it was working fine after doing that. The other morning I woke up to find that windows had done an update and restrted itself, but I don 't even know what updates it installed.
    How can I install the latest drivers if I can't get on the computer? I don't even know what kind of video card I have :(

UPDATE:
    Well, I got into safe mode and tried installing an updated driver for the video card. When it restarted it did the same thing: the blue screen of death. So I have no clue what to do now. My mouse won't work in safe mode either so it was really hard getting around in there. Anyone ?

4. mully4235

mully4235 Thread Starter

OK, I got into safe mode and tried to install an updated driver for the video card. When it restarted I got the same result, the blue screen of death. I couldn't get the mouse to work in safe mode either which made getting around in there really hard.
    Does this mean that it is a problem with the video card? Is there any thing I can do to fix this? Should I buy another video card and if so which one?

Opps, sorry for the double post, it didn't look like it posted my edit

5. Claymore

Claymore

Definitely an nVidia graphics card problem - possibly due to overheating. If you shut down and let the machine cool off for several hours, do you still get the video problem immediately on startup?

If you Google this error you get oodles of hits, so it's a common problem with just as many suggested fixes (and a lot damning Dell). No one seems to have a definitive answer (not even the nVidia forum!), except get another card - anything but nVidia. If you're a gamer this is no cheap solution, so it is obviously a last resort, but maybe you could try another card from one of your other computers and see how it goes.

Luck!

6. valis

valis Moderator

Where did you download the driver from? Are you sure it was the correct one? If you have an onboard video card you will need to get the drivers for the motherboard, not the video card. An easy way to tell what video card you have is to go to start > run > dxdiag > display tab. Let me know what it says there.

v

7. mully4235

mully4235 Thread Starter

I've let it cool off for only about a half hour with the same results. Maybe I'll have to let it cool off for a couple hours longer and see how that goes. I know the fan is always running and it's pretty loud. The only games I play are Sims 1 and Sims 2 and Roller Coaster Tychoon,. Not sure what type of card to buy for those?
    The driver I tried I got from Microsoft I believe. I have downloaded 2 more, but I'm not sure which one I really need. I downloaded those from the NVIDIA web site. After the first one I did the rollback driver thing and got the same results. In safe mode it doesn't list a video card. It just says that the system is using the generic video driver. I do know that it is a NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 card
    . Other than that I have no idea. If I could find my order receipt from Dell it might be on there?

8. wtxcowboy

wtxcowboy

if ur installing nVidia drivers 4 ur graphics card, u need 2 uninstall the drivers 1st, then reboot & download the new driver... nVidia's website will tell u that is exactly what u should do & also turn off ur antivirus when installing a new driver :)

9. valis

valis Moderator

10. mully4235

mully4235 Thread Starter

That was one of the ones that I downloaded, but not the one I tried installing. Let me see if it works....

well, I installed it and the computer actually booted up and started normally! I guess I'll have to wait and see if it fixes it for good. At least it's not blinking right now anyway. :)

11. valis

valis Moderator

good....hope it holds.....

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/484523

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice