Yet another networking post: Limiting access to a share

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

journey44

Hey everybody!

Im so used to using Linux, but im sure theres something that can be done in WinXP Home, just not really sure what to do with it-

Maybe limiting by IP or MAC like i can do in Mandrake? Any thoughts?

Pete

People will need a little more info on exactly what you are attempting to do.

Limiting a share on what?

In xp you can right click on drive, folder, or file and select sharing and security!

journey44

I have a lan in the house......8 computers believe it or not :p

I have a fileserver that runs WinXP now- I needed to for a gams :-/ at any rate, I want to share a drive, D, across the network but ONLY to my laptop.

Oh .... what about login settings? Sorry....again, the laptop runs windows but its been a pretty Linux world the last year or so

You can right-click the D: drive and select sharing and security. Choose to share and in the share name textbox, name it with whatever you choose and then end it with the ($) dollar sign. That will only prevent it from being seen by other users on the network.

You can then set your laptop up with a mapped drive to your hidden share.

There may be other, more secure ways, but this should work for you.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online