1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Yet Another New Computer Build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ~Candy~, Jul 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator Thread Starter

Had another disaster, first time using a 775 chip. My fan for the old 478 obviously isn't going to fit :eek: Imagine that :mad:

I just happened to have the good luck of being given this fan:

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1116581

On past builds, when there has been the grey "matter" attached to the fan, I usually soak it off and reapply thermal paste, however, this one is a copper bottom, and I'm wondering if I should give it a go with what is there, or should I still scrape it off and go the thermal paste route?

Edited for typo only.

2. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Candy, I always use the AS5. My sink has a copper base also. It is all up to you I figure.

Either would work. I just like the AS goop.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I'd leave it on and see what temps you get, if they're ok then leave it. If not get some AS5 to replace it.

4. ~Candy~

Thanks to both of you! (y)

I'll give it a go :D and report back, if you see smoke, send help :p

5. ~Candy~

Ok, it is running at about 44C outside of the case. How does that sound? As I have mentioned, I've only used 478's until now, and that sounds like a good temp for those. I have the bios set for 50C shutdown. Is that too low?

I had some trouble with the stupid ram. Didn't like the stick from the other system....lucky me. I just happened to have a couple spare ones. I'm guessing this board wanted faster ram, as it seemed that the cpu fan was spinning up, then kind of delaying, then spinning up again....once I changed ram, I at least got a system beep. I didn't have a monitor attached until that point.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I'd say 50 is too low. I've seen many new Intel processors idle in the low 50's and hit 60 under heavy load. And I'd expect the 44 to go up once its in the case.

Do you have AS5 kicking around? If so put it on.

What processor is it anyway?

7. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Candy, I haven't run a Pentium for a long time. I know for a prescott it would be fine. I don't know about the newer ones.

Mulder should know something, or even 4steve44 if he would ever show his face again. :(

8. ~Candy~

It's a 3.06. I have some paste that I picked up down here (Mexico :D ) --- and I've used it before without ill effects. The thought of scraping that 'grey' matter off doesn't sit well with me today :D

I can obviously reset the bios to shutdown at a higher temp. I always like to have a shutdown temp just in case ;)

9. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I scraped the Thermal pad off my HSF when I set up my 939 Athlon 64. AS5 gave me better temps, in the case it reaches 38 - 39C as read by the bios. I noticed that the readings in Everest Home are not very Accuarate at all.

10. ~Candy~

Thanks Scott ;)

11. ~Candy~

Another thing that I'm wondering about, that heat sink is a devil. Two sides snapped down further than the other two. Do you think that could be an issue? The little arrows don't give you too much information on which way to press, turn, twist, etc. :rolleyes:

12. ~Candy~

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I might play around with hooking a drive up to it....I have it semi hanging out of the case on a cardboard box, there is a drive in the tower with XP on it..........it should just love that new motherboard/cpu combo :eek:

BTW, I FINALLY GOT YOUR VIDEO CARD installed into another machine and working (y) Thank you once again ;)

Now, if they'd just fix my cable tv here :rolleyes: Always something :D

13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If its not quality stuff like AS5 then don't waste the time removing the stock pad, it'll have nearly the identical result.

I think the new 775 heatsink is a PITA, I don't know what the Intel engineers were thinking - or maybe they weren't thinking at all. Best way to tell if its on right is to look at the back of the motherboard. You should see all white...thingies(can't think too straight today, too hot).. with the black locking pin through the center, they ashoudl all be even and look the same.

Now the AMD heatsinks are amazing, very easy to put on and they stay on unlike the socket 478 brackets that broken or the 775 heatsink that pops off.

14. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I dont even have TV at the moment. Gave up on Dish Network, and Cable is a killer here at $75 a month for 26 channels, and not including Internet. I am enjoying a ton of DVD's though. The only things hooked up to the house are electricity water and sewer. Wireless for everything else including telephones.

15. ~Candy~

Just overheated at 55C and shutdown :mad: Windows XP loaded :eek: What a surprise, wants to be activated again, but that is a no go since I can't get to the desktop to install the NIC drivers :rolleyes:

I can see the white thingies, and two black thingies are further down than 2 others --- so, I'm thinking that may be a bit of the problem. I "might" have some arctic silver in one of my drawers.......I'll dig around, I'm calling it a night for now. I'll give it another round tomorrow :D

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483759

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice