1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Yet ANOTHER Oblivion thread. Crashing. Help?

Discussion in 'Games' started by xxsanadaxx, Oct 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xxsanadaxx

xxsanadaxx Thread Starter

I promise I looked, but did not see anything relating to my personal problem.

Its not my graphics card, its not my drivers, I know how to check those and trust me, I have. Drivers are 100% uploaded. This is beyond me.

Now, I'll describe my problem as in-depth as I possibly can, because I know thats what you guys need.

Alright. I'll be in the middle of a game (usually the start-up runs fine, it loads good, I play perfectly. Most of the time, no lag at all -- it runs at max frame rate flawlessly.) Now, I'll play the game for...oh, anywhere from five minutes to an hour and a half. But constantly...over and over again...after no set time limit, I get an error report. The game isn't undergoing any strenuous graphics changes during this, I'm usually just walking down the road or riding my horse somewhere. Honestly, it usually tends to happen when the game is at its calmest and running smoothly. It will simply give me that oh-so-common error report message and then it crashes. The computer doesn't reboot.

I know some of you guys know what to look for in these error reports. Tell me what you need, and I'll see what I can print-screen and upload to photobucket.

Those of you who remember me, I have this same problem with The Lord of the Rings: The Battle for Middle-Earth 2 - Return of the Witch-King on the PC. Same with the original BFME2. Also, I want to tell you guys that I played BFME2 - ROTWK on a much worse computer than mine and it still crashed. Could this be a memory problem?

-EDIT GOES HERE- By the way, I was having the problem earlier today, so I said 'Screw it' to all of my nice mods I had collected and reinstalled the game. Now, with a new, freshly installed version, it continues to crash. With and without mods.

My graphics card is perfectly equipped for these games, I assure you.

Let me add this. I have mods installed for both games. I completely uninstalled both of them and reinstalled them both, they do it WITH mods and WITHOUT mods. This is going past the point of perplexing to me and its becoming very very annoying. Playing a game like Oblivion for thirty minutes gets you places. If you forget to save within that time and it crashes, you've lost a lot of progress.

Thanks for your time, everyone, and I certainly hope someone can give me a good answer. Like I said, tell me what to post here from the error message and I'll be glad to do it.

2. kovi

kovi

Do you have a dual-core processor, or a processor that supports hyper threading? Turn off dual-core/use one processor only or turn off hyper threading, that often makes games a little finnicky.

3. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

You probably read my post about driver issues then..
    It was the "newest" ATI drivers themselves that caused my crashes.
    Yours does play much longer though. Up to an hour +.

General thoughts and things to check;
    1) If your comfortable trying Omega drivers then try them. http://www.omegadrivers.net/
    2) Heat? Have you tried with your case open, and a small house fan blowing in it?
    Is there allot of dust buildup in your system?
    3) A couple good defrags of your hard drive.
    4) Any background programs that random check for anything?

I don't know about the dual core idea, I'm still on single. :D
    You can try oldblivion.
    I know, your system is newer then the game and should work.. but ya never know.

You didn't mention patches, so I'll just toss them in too.
    http://www.elderscrolls.com/downloads/updates_patches.htm

4. sup2a

sup2a

Im guessing you have installed official and tried unofficial patches? they have been known to make the game a little more... stable.... saying that i get around 2-4 hours of gameplay (non stop... i like my oblivion) before it crashes... and i have a very low end computer (computer 1 on the list)

my bad just realized someone already mentioned patches :)

5. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

Never hurts to over mention does it? :D

Well, after the initial driver BSODs, the game has only crashed twice on me for no reason.
    Play for well over 2 hours and I crash before it does. :)
    Often crashes when exiting but since I'm done playing I really don't care. :rolleyes:

6. sup2a

sup2a

Same here, I wonder why, it seems its a very common problem... oh well i bought game of the year edition for PS3 so im happy now :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!