1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Yet another scannow question

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by d4l3d, Jun 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. d4l3d

d4l3d Thread Starter

I've been trying to run scannow and, like many others, although I have the disk I still get asked for it. I suspect its my registry and I've seen instructions elsewhere but, no one that I can see has actually typed out each of the reg entries in full so that people like me don't mess it up. I plan on backing them up, I'd just rather get it right the first time.
    These are my entries:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \SOFTWARE \Microsoft \Windows \CurrentVersion \Setup---Sourcepath= C:\\DOCUME~1\\****\\LOCALS~1\\Temp\\SETUP\\"

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \SOFTWARE \Microsoft \Windows \CurrentVersion \Setup---Installation Sources =C:\ServicePackFiles\i386 C:\EMEDIAPROGRAMFILES\APROGRAMS\MIDI YOKE D:\
    (I'm no longer running MIDI YOKE)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \SOFTWARE \Microsoft \Windows NT \CurrentVersion ---Sourcepath=D:\\I386

Would someone show me what they should look like and let me know if its just these three.

Thanks d4l3d

2. cgesicki

cgesicki

download wise registry cleaner http://www.wisecleaner.com/ and the disk cleaner as well.

You'll be surprised with the results both are free and are great utlilities

3. d4l3d

d4l3d Thread Starter

I guess I'm not making myself clear. I'm not trying to remove anything from the registry. I have a registry cleaner that I use regularly. These items that I've posted belong. I'm asking for someone to show me what these registry entries would look like corrected to allow scannow to accept the CD.

d4l3d

4. Augie65

Augie65

If you want the path to the CD, you need to set the value to your CD-ROM. If you have the I386 folder on the hard drive, set it to that.
    If your CD-ROM is D: then set it to:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup
    SourcePath
    Value data
    D:\
    Here is a guide that may help you.
    Scannow sfc

5. d4l3d

d4l3d Thread Starter

Thanks Augie65,

That was one of several references I looked at. Being skittish about the registry I wanted to be extra sure I understood. So they should read:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \SOFTWARE \Microsoft \Windows \CurrentVersion \Setup---Sourcepath = D:\

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \SOFTWARE \Microsoft \Windows \CurrentVersion \Setup---Installation Sources = D:\

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \SOFTWARE \Microsoft \Windows NT \CurrentVersion ---Sourcepath = D:\

Then, is the above correct, do I have them all and do I need to change value data back or change value data to anything else?

6. d4l3d

d4l3d Thread Starter

Bumping in case this got passed over. Hope thats OK.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/589996

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice