1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

yet another sp2 error (shocking but true)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by demi4200, Aug 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. demi4200

demi4200 Thread Starter

so there i was 2 days ago checking the windows update page for sp2. after a few errors with version 5 of the windows update page i got the thing to download.

during installation i got an error "windows could not find file atapi.sys" the error window gave me a selection of different file paths to use but none worked. i decided to keep installing and everything went fine till i had to reboot. when windows got to the loading screen it froze. i tried to repair xp with the disc and i got another error that made my computer continually reboot at the windows loading screen. even after finishing a full repair windows still restarts at the loading screen, and even when trying to boot into safe mode.

i can still get into the repair console but i dont know what to do once in there, if there is even anything i could do from there.

what i want to do is somehow get into windows and back up all my stuff so i can reinstall. or mabe just uninstall sp2.

if you need me to post further info please post what you need and i'll get it up asap.

2. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

From my crib notes....

"If you opted to have SP2 so it could be uninstalled, you should be able to boot from your CD to the recovery console and locate spuninst.exe that will remove SP2 for you. Hopefully that will roll things back to a working XP SP1 setup.

C:\WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstall$\spuninst\spuni nst.exe

and then press the ENTER key"

3. demi4200

demi4200 Thread Starter

will try... right now!!!

thanks

lol i didnt know that $spuninstall$ was a folder

4. demi4200

demi4200 Thread Starter

$NtServicePackUninstall$ isnt there any more. i clearly remember it being there yesterday tho, before the repair attempt.

5. computerwiz5

computerwiz5

are u usign a virtual frive, i heard there are soem problems with that, download the new version of daemon tools, they have a fix i think

6. demi4200

demi4200 Thread Starter

if you mean virtual drive i dont belive so... now im faced with the constant rebooting. i retried the repair again and still no good, the system reboots at the xp loading screen along with a quick flashing blue screen that i cant read.

edit* any thoughts on what i should try next or why my system is constantly restarting?

7. WhitPhil

8. demi4200

demi4200 Thread Starter

whitphil im not sure sp2 is still even on my comp any more... after i repaired xp i whent into the repair console and didnt see the $ntservicepackuninstall$ folder any more.

the problem now is figuring out why this damn thing is rebooting at the loading screen and giving me a blue screen (wich i've never ever seen on an xp comp before).

9. WhitPhil

I'd use the Recovery Console route, booting with your CD

10. demi4200

demi4200 Thread Starter

was that in the knoledge base article? cause if so i musta missed it.

you're talking about this arnt you:

11. WhitPhil

12. demi4200

demi4200 Thread Starter

i tried it

edit* like i said after i tried to do a repair with the xp cd it wasnt there anymore.

13. demi4200

demi4200 Thread Starter

this might sounds stupid but im reaching now... is there any way to back stuff up from repair console?

also does anyone have any idea what might be causeing the constant reboots??? again this happens in all modes (safe and regular) and it all started yesterday when i attempted to repair windows and i didnt let it finish (have completed 2 repair's since then).

edit* when my system reboots i get a blue screen that flashes to quick to see, is there a way i can view it? i tried pause/break, but it dosent work or mabe its to fast...

14. demi4200

demi4200 Thread Starter

15. demi4200

demi4200 Thread Starter

is there any way to get my files off this hd before i reinstall xp???

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!