1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

YICKS!!!! Router Prob Fixed - Now NIC is Crazy

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Rhapsody, Sep 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rhapsody

Rhapsody Thread Starter

OK - - -
    after many visites to this wonderful site and with all the awesome help/advice i received we finally got our darn modem/router working so that we can log online thru the 2nd comp.

NOW HERE IS THE OTHER PROB.

i am now having probs with the NIC card. we can get the 2nd comp up and running but when we shut the comp down for the night we loose the lights on the router and back of comp that see's the NIC card. i have to uninstall and then reinstall the program and drivers for the NIC card every time to get the comp too see it again. what can i do to stop this madness??

Comp is running Win98se
    NIC card is a 10/100 Etherfast with Wake-On-Lan
    Router is a Etherfast Cable/Dsl Router with 4 ports

THX,
    Rhapsody :D

2. natcom

natcom

how old is the NIC ?

3. Rhapsody

Rhapsody Thread Starter

BRAND NEW _ 2 weeks ago.

just got a new comp - so we decided to network the new and old comp. the router and NIC card was purchased at the same time.

4. 5mi11er

5mi11er

Well, I've been waiting for someone else to throw in some input for you, but since no one else has...

You've got 2 machines, and we're ignoring the 1st one completely right?

When you shut the win98 box off, the lights etc. should go off. Unless the 98 box is really new using an ATX style power supply, the wake on lan stuff is useless, and the NIC will power off along with the rest of the computer. Thus, the lights on the router will also go off.

But, when you power back on, so should all the lights, and the drivers should still be installed and configured. So, I don't understand why you'd have to reinstall those every time you reboot. That doesn't make any sense. You do shutdown gracefully right? Even if you didn't, that shouldn't mess the drivers up that much.

-Scott

5. 5mi11er

5mi11er

Can you post the ipconfig information from the 98 box in both a just booted mode, and after reinstallation?

6. Rhapsody

Rhapsody Thread Starter

HELLO AGAIN...........

Yes - i do shut down my comp gracefully?

i cannot post my ipconfig info at this time for i am unable to obtain it at the moment
    due to the fact that my NIC CARD and COMP have went nuts on me.
    my comp no longer recognizes that it even has the NIC and in turn it will not assiagn an IP address. i am at my witts end on this one. everyone says that this should not be happening and yet as you can see it is - go figure.

ANY IDEALS???? i am just about to trash the whole thing and return everything to the store...............

THX,
    Rhapsody

old ipconfig was:

IP Address: 192.168.1.102 (new comp - 192.168.1.100)
    Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: 192.168.1.101

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd take it back and let them sort it out if that's an option. It's not a run of the mill issue, that's for sure. :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!