1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Yosemite to Mavericks

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by Swiper, Jan 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Swiper

Swiper Thread Starter

So, just wondering
    just got new MacMini that came preloaded with Yosemite

Is there any known working way to downgrade this to mavericks ?

finally got 10.9 working with specific software and now it won't work with 10.10
    I have tried boot drive installation from USB
    but either gets to circle / lilne through it OR
    just hangs on apple logo
    (depending on the type of drive I create)

anyone......
    any tricks ?

thanks

2. Aaron87

Aaron87

You can download Mavericks from the App Store and create a bootable USB with it. Here is a tutorial on how to create one.

After you've done that you can format the HDD by restarting your mac and holding down CMD+R the second you see the apple logo appear for aprox 15 seconds.

I've never done it this way before, I've always downloaded and installed from the app store, I've never had much luck with USB installs so make sure you get a second opinion first

3. Swiper

Swiper Thread Starter

i've tried with a bootable usb but it seems it wont' go
    the apple folks seem to think that because the mini came with yosemite, i can't go to lower version

i think that is rather sillly and thought maybe someone else could shed some light on it

4. Swiper

Swiper Thread Starter

could you not install Mavericks on a 'slightly older mac mini" with similar /same hardware which came with mavericks
    take the drive physically out and put it into the new mac mini and have it boot up ?
    anyone tried this ?
    since its all intel processors and not much else changes inside, this should be possible....

yes /no ?

5. Headrush

Headrush

There is no one correct yes or no answer because the issue is much deeper.
    For starters, once you have installed a newer OS, the hidden Recovery OS isn't downgraded when you install a lower OS.

Even though hardware may appear to be similar, extensions are often "typed" to very specific models and/or variants.
    You model may have same GPU as last model, but previous was version 0AF8, and your's is slightly different 0AF9.
    As such the kext info from Mavericks might not know your version and will not load.

No one can specifically which ones will or won't work.

Your best bet is to blow out the hard drive of all partitions including the recovery partition, boot the Mavericks install media, install a system and boot in safe mode which only enables the most basic drivers. From here you can start to add in kexts to add support for your hardware.

Not really the simplest to explain or walk through in a forum thread, but it's similar to process Mackintosh users do.
    You should be able to find some detailed guides on the net.

6. Swiper

Swiper Thread Starter

it is currently NOT POSSIBLE to install 10.9 Mavericks onto the mac mini if it comes pre-installed with 10.10 Yosemite
    that has been my issue since we bought it
    tried 2 different USB bootable disks. just hangs on apple logo
    can't use it because software doesn't work in yosemite and apple won't tell us how to go to mavericks or sell us something with mavericks . they force you to use a system that doesn't work and just say, whatever you had working before will eventually get fixed and working with yosemite
    was hoping someone figured out a way

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1141563

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice