1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

'You do not have permission to log on' error message when opening second Outlook prof

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Mzun, Aug 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mzun

Mzun Thread Starter

I'm trying to set up a second email profile on a PC which already has a profile set up. The new profile needs to be password protected, ie. anyone who logs on to the PC using the default profile should not have access to the second mail profile without an additional password (if that makes sense).
    Both profiles use exchange accounts. I've selected the 'Prompt for a profile to be used' option. However when I select the second profile I get the following error message:

Unable to open your default e-mail folders. You do not have permission to log on.

I'm assuming that this is because it is trying to use the Windows logon username and password to access the second profile. Is there any way to get Outlook to prompt for a password when accessing the new mail profile?

2. Rockn

Rockn

You need to create a separate data file for each one and have Outlook prompt for which profile to use. It would be much simpler if you created a separate Windows account and then all profiles would be separate. To make Outlook prompt for which profile to use you go to Control Panel > Mail > Show Profiles. There is a radio button to make it prompt for the profile, but it will not ask for a password.

3. Mzun

Mzun Thread Starter

I have created a separate Windows account but I don't want the user to have to log out each time they need to check their mail. I think I've solved this problem though, by selecting the 'No Password' option (Outlook 2002). This then prompts for a password.
    I'm now trying to do the same thing on a machine with Outlook 2003, but it doesn't seem to have the same options. Is it possible to do this with Outlook 2003?

4. Rockn

Rockn

If you enter the account information into the POP and SMTP setting they will never need to enter the password again unless it changes for some reason.

5. Mzun

Mzun Thread Starter

So there's no way to secure Outlook if more than one person has access to a PC?

6. Rockn

Rockn

It would be secured using separate logins. The profiles are only accessible to the person logged on at the time. Not sure how this would not be secure along with the email account security username and password.

7. Mzun

Mzun Thread Starter

The PC is located in a production environment and several people have access to it. It's not feasable for them to have to log out and in again to their Windows accounts every time they need to check their mail. Also there are some production related applications on this PC that need to be open at all times.

8. Rockn

Rockn

Then you apparently don't wnat any sort of security if you are not willing to use logins. Is there an option to use web mail for these accounts? Are you in an Exchange environment?

9. Mzun

Mzun Thread Starter

Okay, obviously there's no solution to this using Outlook 2003 or later. I'm going to have to downgrade to an earlier version.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1013937

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice