1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

You need to format the disk in drive before you can use it

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by noahbody, Jun 23, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. noahbody

noahbody Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700 CPU @ 3.60GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 158 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 16342 Mb
    Graphics Card: Radeon (TM) RX 480 Graphics, -1 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 111 GB (39 GB Free)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., H170M-DS3H-CF
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

I'm trying to flash Linux Mint onto a USB disk so I can install it on another computer. The USB disk was working. I already had something on the USB disk, and used it successfully one time, a couple of months ago. I haven't used it since. It's not broken and I didn't store it in heat or anything. But now, when I use BalenaEtcher to flash the ISO onto the USB disk, BalenaEtcher appears to be flashing it for 3 minutes. When it's finished, I attempt to look at the disk in Explorer to see if it worked. Every time, the disk is empty, and a box pops up to say "You need to format the disk in drive F before you can use it." So I format it and use BalenaEtcher again. But the same thing happens. The disk is always empty and I always get a message saying I have to format it again. I have formatted it several times, even though it was already formatted. I formatted it in FAT(default) and FAT32.

None of the solutions found by searching the web so far are working. ie., here: https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledg...rmat-the-disk-in-drive-before-you-can-use-it/

https://www.techrepublic.com/forums/discussions/chkdsk-doesnt-repair-disk-errors/

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/how-to-format-a-flash-drive-with-a-raw-file-system.1687369/

I ran CHKDSK in cmd as Administrator. It said "Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems. No further action is required."

Every time I have a problem installing something with a burned DVD, everybody tells me USB disks are better. I ask them to help me understand what's wrong with the DVD, so I can move forward, but they insist I should just give up and buy a USB disk and use that instead. So finally I bought one. It only worked one time.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  2. lunarlander

lunarlander

The Linux ISO install 'disc' is created in another disc format which Windows does not understand. That is why Windows says you need to format it to use it over and over again. Boot with the USB disk drive and it should work. You may have to boot into BIOS to choose so that the USB drive boots first, instead of your hard drive.

3. noahbody

noahbody Thread Starter

Looks like you're right. I plugged it into a Linux computer and it showed up. Now I need to install it on another PC. But when I go into Boot Menu by pressing F12, I can't get it to boot off the USB. I chose USB-ZIP, USB-FDD, and USB-HDD. Every time it loads Windows instead. Which option do I choose in the Boot Menu? Is it USB-CDROM? Something else?

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

Try USB-HDD. It is a Hard Disk with USB enclosure, right? If that doesn't work, try every label has says USB.

5. noahbody

noahbody Thread Starter

It turns out that you can't use a USB stick to boot some computers. There's nothing you can do. The BIOS won't allow it. DVDs are the way to go.

6. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    That might have been true 10 years ago but I don't think that is now true, especially since a lot of laptops come with no optical drive.

My husband's desktop is a Dell Optiplex 745 (purchased refurbed and running Win 7). Looks like this might be from 2007. It can boot from a USB stick.

I bought an XP computer, a cheap eMachine from Walmart in 2009. I thought for several years, that it couldn't boot from USB. Turns out, I didn't try all the boot options in the BIOS.

I got tired of burning linux to CDs and DVDs and then discarding them when an upgrade came out. It would be so much easier to use a USB stick and simply format and "burn" the newest ISO to the stick.
    One day, I decided to experiment. I inserted the USB stick and went into the BIOS. I tried every boot option there and eventually stumbled across the one that worked.

I don't think my BIOS shows USB options. I think I selected HDD and there was a submenu under that which was my stick.
    Take the time and try ALL the boot options in the BIOS. I'll bet you eventually find the correct one that will boot your USB stick. It is worth the troubleshooting and time it takes to figure this out.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1229024

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice