1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

your computer was unable to start......startup repair is checking your system for pro

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Reba268, Feb 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Reba268

Reba268 Thread Starter

After windows did an update last night, PC slowed to a crawl so I ran my anti viris in safe mode, that is when I got the Title message. "your computer was unable to start......startup repair is checking your system for problems". I'm in safe mode with networking right now. I have to click F8 to get here, otherwise PC will not turn on at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II P960 Quad-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 5 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 6143 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD Mobility Radeon HD 5000 Series, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 930021 MB, Free - 862967 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0X37H9
    Antivirus: McAfee Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware, Updated and Enabled

Thank you
    Lynne

2. Tabvla

Tabvla

Lynne, I know that this may sound obvious, but have you run System Restore from Safe Mode..?

T.

3. Reba268

Reba268 Thread Starter

yes I did, it failed, I started PC, hit F8, went to lasty known good configuration, so far so good although, I had a popup telling me there is an issue, tried to resolve, it said, no known solution at this time. I changed windows update settings so it will not update at this time either.

4. Tabvla

Tabvla

Lynne, read through the following suggestion and let me know if you are comfortable and confident to try these steps.

1. Restart and enter Safe Mode
    2. Temporarily disable McAfee and ensure that it cannot start when you Restart
    3. Restart and enter Safe Mode
    4. Go to Control Panel > Windows Update
    5. Look to the bottom-left of the Update window and click on "Installed Updates"
    6. Try to determine which update is causing the problem and try to Uninstall it
    7. Restart

Let us know the result.

REMEMBER.... if the above gets your system working normally again - reactivate your Antivirus.

T.

5. Reba268

Reba268 Thread Starter

Thank you, I did all that, oddly enough, Windows Updates is no longer in control panel. I did a search and brought it up that way. I tried to delete the service pack that installed the day my issues began, it wouldn't do it. I rebooted and OMG, I am logged in properly but, it wants to update even though I had it shut off. I just don't get it. Plus, now a black box keeps popping up in middle of screen, dell support.

6. Tabvla

Tabvla

Lynne, have you ever created a System Image using the built-in imaging utility available in W8.1..?

T.

7. Reba268

Reba268 Thread Starter

No I haven't

8. Reba268

Reba268 Thread Starter

Looks like I need a cd for this....I googled it :), cd's are packed still, not sure what box they are in.

9. Reba268

Reba268 Thread Starter

The longest I could put off this restart is 4 hours, I have company coming, hope I get back here before it restarts itself.....

10. Tabvla

Tabvla

OK.... no problem. But, when you have these issues sorted and Windows is purring like a kitten, then make sure that you do a System Image, using the built-in system image utility in W8.1. If you don't know how to do this then post a new Thread and I or some else will walk you through the very simple process.

Now, to return to the current problem....

Click on the link below and then run the Microsoft Update Troubleshooter - the blue box "Run now"

See if anything intelligent or helpful is reported.

Link to MS Update Troubleshooter : http://support.microsoft.com/gp/windows-update-issues/en-gb

T.

11. Reba268

Reba268 Thread Starter

Will do, thank you. I uninstalled the last two service packs that windows installed as well. Need to reboot but, so afraid I won't get back. This is a royal pain, as soon as the pocket will allow, this baby is going in :)

12. Tabvla

Tabvla

Let me know what information the MS Update Troubleshooter reports..... should be interesting.. :eek:

T.

13. Reba268

Reba268 Thread Starter

Where do I find that?

14. Tabvla

Tabvla

When you run the MS Update Troubleshooter (see the link I sent you in post #10) then it should give you a report if there was a problem or advise you that no problems were detected.

T.

15. Reba268

Reba268 Thread Starter

Problem is, while I was away from PC it rebooted, Would it have saved it anywhere?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1143827

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice