1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Your laptop fan noisy after a bump?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Zygmo, May 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zygmo

Zygmo Thread Starter

This might already be posted here, but I've never seen it anywhere.

My ACER laptop fell off a chair. Started it up, and the CPU heatsink fan started making a noise like it is rubbing something. But I noticed it would quit when the laptop was tipped on it's side, or upside down.

Took the back off, and could not see anything that looked like it was crooked, or bent. Removed the fan housing, and noticed that the fan blade was loose, and wobbly. I have a couple of heatsink fans from other laptops laying around, and checked them. Nice and tight. No way to modify one of those to work, and did not see the correct fan for sale online.

So, I decided to see if I could pry the fan off, and then replace it with one of the good ones. When I lightly pried one side of the fan down, and then pried the other side....it popped into place. No wobble, nice and tight! So I looked at the other two fans. All of them have what appears to be a fiber washer between the fan and housing, but do not rest against it. There is like a mm space.

So.....check that before you order a replacement fan if yours suddenly starts making noise after a bump.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1210950

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice