Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jayeliot

Before leaving Florida for 6 weeks, I unplugged the power to my wife's Lenova All-in one desktop computer. Came home today, plugged in the power and got the message Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. I looked at other postings for this problem but did not understand what to do. Attached are some screen shots I took. I did try to do some stuff posted under windows.com/stopcode but not sure what to do.

Attachments

jayeliot

I have thumb drives. What log file do you need and how would I retrieve it ?

OK, here is how:

1. Insert USB stick into this trouble PC
2. Your first screenshot shows "Advanced" button, which when clicked should let you choose an option to start command prompt.
If not, there must be some other way to get it.

3. Once you have command prompt, type following 3 commands to learn the "letters" of your USB and System drive:
Batch:
DISKPART
lis vol
exit
Identify following letters (Ltr column):
1. the letter of system drive (one on which Windows is installed)
2. the letter of your USB stick.

Now to copy log file from "Windows" drive to USB use following command but make sure to replace the letters according to your output, In this example C:\ is Windows partition and F:\ is USB partition.

Batch:
copy C:\WINDOWS\System32\LogFiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt F:\
When done, detach your USB and attach it to working computer, and attach SrtTrail.txt which is now on your USB drive here into forums.

I unplugged the power to my wife's Lenova All-in one desktop computer. Came home today, plugged in the power and got the message Your PC ran into a problem
What happened is that you unplugged your PC while there was Windows update in progress, since the PC was shut down by force the update was interrupted in the middle of it's job and resulted in corrupted registry.

The error 0x3f1 from the log means:
The configuration registry database is corrupt
The issue now is that Windows can't boot because it tries to finish the update which is now broken.

If you still have command prompt open OK, if not open it and make sure to learn system drive letter as before (the one where Windows is installed) then type following command into console, (replace C:\ with system drive if needed in the example below)

Batch:
dism /image:C:\ /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
This might take some time, when done run this:

Batch:
sfc /scannow
This might take some time too, once you're done reboot system, hopefully it will start.
If not, let me know.

Yes, wrong because there must be space between C:\ and /Cleanup-Image, see above command again,
basically:
/image:C:\ /Cleanup-Image
instead of
/image:C:\/Cleanup-Image

Let me know what was the output of this command in the end.

I'm sorry but didn't notice in your first attempt, there must be spaces for each parameter,
parameters are as follows:
dism
/image:C:\
/Cleanup-Image
/RestoreHealth

Therefore 3 spaces in total, example, sentence with 4 words:
dism <space> /image:C:\ <space> /Cleanup-Image <space> /RestoreHealth

jayeliot

error 1009
configuration registry database corrupt

and something about a scratch directory size20201018_175323.jpg

I assume you still have the same command prompt open?
If yes, run following command:

Batch:
mkdir C:\scratch
Then run this: (note that this are now 5 parameters, meaning 4 spaces)

Batch:
dism /image:C:\ /ScratchDir:C:\Scratch /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
Let me know the result of this.

And then here is alternative command if the above doesn't fix the problem (note 4 spaces!):

Batch:
dism /image:C:\ /ScratchDir:C:\Scratch /Cleanup-Image /RevertPendingActions
Let me know the result of this one too.

jayeliot

just to be clear

at the command line x:\ windows\system32>

I type in
mkdir C:\scratch

When I did that it appeared to do nothing. I was once again at the sytem32> command line.

jayeliot

So after making the directory I typed :

dism_/image:C:\_/scratchDir:C:\scratch_/cleanup-image_/restorehealth_/revertpendingactions

The underscores are where I put the spaces. I typed this 3 times, my wife did it once and we still have an error - see attached

Attachments

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online