Your Suggestions...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

yellow_grrl

Hello All, okay, we finally have our 4th computer ready to be added to our current network, and due to the distance and other factors, from the computer in relation to the router in the basement, we have opted to buy a hub/switch to connect it.

SetUp:
- 2 comps. in the basement, and an x-box in the basment with the dsl modem, and router (d-link DI604)
- my computer on the 2nd floor (took a long day to drop the wire from my room to the router). and the new computer is across the hall from mine - was going to use this wire to connect to the hub/switch then connect the 2?

I would greatly appreciate your recommendations (please) on the best one for my situtation. Thnks!

Howdy yellow_grrl...

Should work, IMHO get the switch they are faster, a Hub can cause network collisions which can slow down the connection...

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Just look for the switch/hub with an uplink port or switch so you don't have to fool around with crossover cables. :) I also prefer the swtich, though for a few computers I doubt the difference will be noticable using a hub.

yellow_grrl

Thnx guys, i shall take a look tomorrow nite after work. Too tired to tonite :)
Thanks again, greatly appreciated :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online