1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ulysses55, Nov 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ulysses55

ulysses55 Thread Starter

Hi Guys,
    Over the last month I've been having some strange problems with my Pc. The monitor Screen After about 2 hours of playing games starts to go dark for a fews secs then light then dark again. This happens until I stop playing games. The Monitor is alright again.Put the game back on and it starts again. But it doesn't do it all the time.

The first time this happened, my pc wouldn't boot up again and my bios got scambled completely. The tech guy had to replace it and flash it. My power box also died.

Today it started again. I turned the game off and rebooted. I put the game back on and it started again. So I shut down my pc waited a minuite and rebooted.Halve way thru booting up my pc shuts down on me and reboots itself going on to the blue scandisk screen.

So what do you think is the problem?

*Monitor going on me?
    *cpu or mobo over heating?
    *Graphics Card overheating?

When I first boot up in the morning the monitor has light green lines across the screen for about 10mins or so.

My system is

Proview 19" monitor
    Soltek Drv5 mobo
    Amd Athlon xp 1800+
    Asus Geforce4 Ti 4200
    Win98se
    256mb ddr 2100 ram

Thanks in Advance

Uly

2. ulysses55

ulysses55 Thread Starter

Nobody has any Idea's??

Uly

3. Ronnie151

Ronnie151

try your monitor on a different mschine to see if it works there, if it does then it could be your vedio card going bad.

4. mobo

mobo

I owuld be inclined to think the video card is overheating a little. Try reducing its core speed if you can and see what happens.

5. suesman

suesman

I would have to agree with mobo. It does sound like the video card is overheating. Does it do this with all games? Did it just start doing it at once?

6. ulysses55

ulysses55 Thread Starter

Thanks guys for your Advice.

It's definately an overheating issue. I've been testing my pc over the last couple of days.

I went and got a desktop fan. When I started to see the screen flicker, I put the desktop fan on into the case and the flicker stops.

Still not sure if it's the mobo, vid card or cpu?

but most likely the vid card right?

why would this happen now? Had the Vid card, cpu and mobo in for a good 6 months now. All fans are working.

Thanks guys for all your advice

Uly

7. Brockman

Brockman

I had a monitor once that was doing that and it was the monitor going bad, and it wasent even a year old.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Dust buildup inside the case, fan stopped working, decay of thermal compound on processor or video hsf.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Add to that blocked intake / exhaust of cooling air.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/181669

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice