Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Your view on backup with external hard drive vs. internal HDD in an enclosure?

2K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  managed 
#1 ·
I have been looking for a 2TB portable external hard drive with USB 3.0 or equivalent. I'm now thinking seriously about getting a WD:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...023&CatId=4227

I'm hearing on other threads that external drives are not built for continuous use (cooling has been mentioned as an issue) and that one needs to go the more expensive route of an internal hard drive in a separately purchased enclosure.

I would prefer having a secondary hard drive running concurrently with my computer. I know cooling devices are available for the internal HDD + enclosure combinations. Are they available for external hard drives?

I intend to have online backup to supplement hardware backup.

Comments on this dispute?

Present :Windows XP
Home Edition
Version 2002
32-bit
Service Pack 3

Dell DIMENSION DIM2400
Intel(R)
Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.66GHz
x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9
2.05 GB of RAM
Graphics Card: Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV
Graphics Controller, 64 Mb
Hard Drive Size 114.4GB
Free Space 37.2 GB
Motherboard: Dell Computer Corp., 0G1548
Antivirus : avast!

Intending to move as soon as I find one to a new laptop with state of the art home user processing, at least 1 TB hard drive, and at least 8 GB RAM.

See less See more
#2 ·
The actual drive is identical.
The only difference is the way it is attached and the way the power is supplied.

Most decent external 3.5in drive enclosures have a fan in them. Also try and get one with a power switch, especially if the wall socket doesn't have one.
If you're looking at external 2.5 in drive enclosures, also make sure you get one with a mains power supply as many come without.

#3 ·
Thanks, Dave. I'm looking for portable, so that generally means more expensive yet smaller ones. I've only across one "Desktop" hard drive that was categorized as portable.

[QUOTEMost decent external 3.5in drive enclosures have a fan in them.][/QUOTE]

Do the 2.5 in ones ever have a fan?

#4 ·
Do the 2.5 in ones ever have a fan?
Don't think so .. They need all the USB 5v power to run the HDD .. (assuming you still want portable - self powered)
Maybe you can find one Here

The 2.5" laptop HDDs typically run slower (less power required - heat developed) and may not require cooling.

I only see one 2.5" 2TB HDD ... But it won't fit in a Laptop (see the description) .. Then maybe not in an enclosure ..
and it may require more power than a USB can provide ??

#7 ·
You still haven't answered ... that by portable .. You mean that you do not have access to line power.

A 3.5" 2TB HDD with it's high speed and dual patters requires more power than can be provided by a USB (or Two) ..
Connector.

You could use a UPS for the power to a typical line powered external HDD.

#8 ·
by portable .. You mean that you do not have access to line power.
That would be the case temporarily at times.

You could use a UPS for the power to a typical line powered external HDD.
Getting a UPS has been a priority after getting hardware and online backup and then a new computer itself. I don't know much about them. I'm pretty sure I have just an ordinary surge protector.

OK, internal + enclosure has its advantages. But I'm not seeing a lot of GB capacity so far.

#12 ·
The maximum power you can take from any one USB controller is 500mA. Any more and you do need an external supply.
Actually this is not true. Both asus and gigabyte have programs to install that boost the usb output on their mb to approx 900ma. This is for charging iphone, etc. The gigabyte version even lets you charge devices with the computer OFF; the asus one will not charge with the system OFF however both boost usb pw output.

The same can be done with a linux os however installing the program is more involved; ie you have to run the terminal and use apt-get then do the make install, etc.
I even leave a usb cord connected to the gigabyte machine just for charging the iphone and my wife's tablet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.