1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"Your windows license will expire in 7days?" What?!

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by nappymonster, Mar 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nappymonster

nappymonster Thread Starter

Hi all,
    I remember a week or so ago being told that windows was going to be deactivated in X number of days (13 i think), got up, came back and the message had gone. I sort of forgot about it, but this time i managed to click it before it disappeared and got a screenie (See below). I have been recently dual booting with ubuntu (ubuntu on external disk, GRUB on internal. Grrrr!) so haven't been on vista at all i think for a while, so it might have given me more warning, it might not have. I've taken a screenie, but points to note:

1) Screen shot can be viewed here.
    2) This is a perfectly legit copy of vista.
    3) Vista Home premium.
    4) I haven't got an awful lot of space right now on any hard drives, so backing up could be an issue (maybe i'll delete my acronis backup and replace it with a heirachy type style)
    5) Won't re-installing it give me an identical error later on? Whether it be a week, two weeks, a month or six months, i'm not regularly going to do this!
    6) Vista has been installed for over a year i think on this PC, so it's quite annoying!

Thanks,
    Nappymonster

2. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

Have you made any hardware changes lately?? Sometimes this can remove activation from Vista. Also, since this is a legit copy of Windows, you should have no problem contacting Microsoft and receiving another activation code.

3. davehc

davehc Trusted Advisor

Dosn't seem right. That is the message you would normally receive on a Beta release.
    Have you tried applying for a new key through the Control Panel (Clasic view - System - at the bootom "Apply for new product key"

4. nappymonster

nappymonster Thread Starter

Phoned up + had a lengthy convo with microsoft. They've said:
    -It might be confused with SP1 beta, and that's expiring in 7 days.
    -That they will get us a new product key.

Either way i'm not waiting for it to die to find out i've got a messed up PC. Last thing before thread marked solved; If i put in a home premium Product key, and currently have home premium, will i need to do any installation or anything, as i really wan't to have to go through vista install again. I just don't have the time or effort :)

Thanks,
    Nappymonster

5. davehc

davehc Trusted Advisor

You could also uninstall the SP1 Beta, of course, perhaps that would be enough?

6. Bill NornIron

Bill NornIron

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/698927