1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

YouTube: different login as Gmail

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by distill, Jan 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. distill

distill Thread Starter

So, yesterday YouTube decided to finalize the connection between Google account and YouTube account. It's not any more possible to have one browser being logged into Google and YouTube simultaneously with a different account (not even with an old YouTube account).

Why do I want to have different accounts logged into Google and YouTube? Short answer: I want to use my personal Gmail but I also want to use my separate YouTube account to put some silly comments to videos etc. and I don't want that silly stuff to do anything with my personal Google personality. And I want to continue using Firefox.

So. I tried this CookiePie Firefox addon which allows separate cookie spaces for separate tabs. But it's quite weak since the functionality is very primitive. It always resets the cookies, thus it doesn't help in my situation. I just want to have YouTube and Google logged on Firefox without having to log in every time, just like it was for long time until now. Also I don't want to enable the form history in Firefox.

What is the solution? The best solutions I can think of are: Using Chrome (with Adblock) for Google accounts, rest with Firefox. But I'd really prefer not to use Chrome. The other solution would be to use CookiePie and then make an AutoHotkey script to login myself each time I start CookiePie, but that really sucks as it's completely detached from the fluid workflow where I could for example copy-paste an YouTube video URL to Firefox and make comments to that video (I'd have to first start CookiePie, run the login script and then copy-paste the URL). These solutions suck. Any suggestions?

2. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    Have you heard of alternative firefox profiles? They allow you to have what amounts to two "Firefox users" with one firefox install on the same Windows Account. You can have different bookmarks, different saved passwords, different cookies, and so on.

* Press Windows + R to bring up the run box.
    * Paste in as written including the quotes:
    "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -no-remote -profilemanager
    If Firefox is installed elsewhere you will have to change the C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\ section to match your computer.
    * From that screen you could create a new firefox profile, let's call it YouTube, and run either that profile or your default from different shortcuts. DO NOT delete or modify your default profile. Just create a new profile.
    * I would suggest checking the box "Don't ask at startup"
    * Click back on Default before choosing Start Firefox, so that your shortcuts still work with your main profile.

Then to start FF with that profile you need the code
    "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -no-remote -p YouTube
    You can create a shortcut to run that, or copy and modify another Firefox shortcut.

3. distill

distill Thread Starter

Thank you very much! That's great!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976285

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice