1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

YouTube very slow/frequent buffering on high speed university broadband

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by twisted7, Sep 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. twisted7

twisted7 Thread Starter

Hi,

I'm experiencing an extremely annoying issue with YouTube that's driving me nuts. Any video I try to load from YouTube takes ages to load and stops to buffer constantly, such that a 2 minute video will take upwards of 5-6 minutes to load completely. It doesn't matter if it's a crappy low-bitrate cell phone video or something in HD from youtube.com/shows. Other sites work fine with no issues. Hulu streams perfectly though I've noticed that their 30-second ads will load slowly too.

I'm living in the dorms at the University of Central Florida and I thought perhaps it was UCF's network (which gets really slow at night), but even at off-peak times when I can download something at 12 megabytes/sec, YouTube remains slow as hell. My roommate's Macbook (plugged into the wall jack right above mine) has no issues.

The laptop is a 3-week old HP Envy 14, completely clean with the latest version/definitions of ESET NOD32. While I don't think it's a malware issue, I can post HJT logs if really necessary.

I read somewhere that the AV may be filtering traffic, so I disabled NOD32's web access protection which did nothing. There are some protocol filtering settings in the advanced settings tree but from what I could tell they were disabled when I turned off web access protection.

In case it's needed...
    Code:
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium , 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU       M 450  @ 2.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 5
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 3893 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator HD, 1722 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 460275 MB, Free - 265182 MB; D: Total - 16359 MB, Free - 2360 MB; E: Total - 99 MB, Free - 92 MB; 
    Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard, 1436, KBC Version 59.1F, PBMTA00RHZB0HM
    Antivirus: ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4.2, Updated and Enabled
    I don't have the slightest idea of what else could be causing it, though the issue seems to be with my computer and not the network or YouTube itself. Perhaps there's a QoS setting somewhere in Windows' TCP/IP configuration that was changed somehow, I don't really know, but any help would be greatly appreciated. ^__^

Edit: Using latest version of Flash Player, in three different browsers (Chrome, Firefox, IE).

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Do you have the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player?

3. twisted7

twisted7 Thread Starter

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/949798