1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

You've been signed in with a temporary profile

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Blackstar57, Dec 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Blackstar57

Blackstar57 Thread Starter

Hello. I'm a new member here. I found this site while searching for help.

I have a friend's Toshiba Satellite L70D-A that will not log on to the owner's account. Windows 8.1. Also there is no Wifi. Pop-up says that Windows Wifi is not turned on or a cable is unplugged or broken. I got around this by plugging in a cat5 cable direct to my Ethernet switch.

I found 17 non critical updates that I downloaded and installed. This hasn't helped any. I reinstalled the Atheros wireless network adaptor and this hasn't helped. I tried several online scanners for virus and malware that I found at another computer help site and they have found nothing that has made this computer work properly.

I tried a command prompt to run Sfc/scannow in Safe Mode to fix any errors. Verification phase runs to 77% then stops and says "Windows resource protection could not perform the requested operation.
    I just read through a post I found by searching about deleting the owners profile and making a new one. I don't know if I can do this and not lose any valuable files she has on the computer. Will any files and folders, pictures, documents, etc. still be available after I delete her account?

Is there anything else I can try?

Thank you for any help and advice...

Glenn

2. TonyB25

TonyB25 Banned

Move the files BEFORE deleting the account.

3. Blackstar57

Yes, I did that. Followed the instructions as posted, Rebooted and moved the files back to the user account and it seems to be ok except for the Wireless network adapter. Still need to plug in the cat 5. But now I've got another problem.
    I uninstalled the network adapters so that I could install fresh drivers. Used my computer to Dl to a thumb drive. There are about a dozen network adapters on the Toshiba site. I must have picked th ewrong ones. I have no internet connection now... Please help...

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Toshiba Satellite L70D-A (PSKNSC-009004) Laptop - originally came with Windows 8 64-bit
    Is this the one you have?
    If it is, it appears to have an Atheros ethernet device and an Atheros or Realtek wireless device.

Go into the Device Manager and then expand the Network Adapters heading.
    What's the exact name of the ethernet and wireless devices listed there?
    Double-click each one to open its properties window and then select the "General" tab.
    Does it show each device as working properly?
    Select the "Details" tab and then select "Hardware Ids" in the list.
    What's the exact 4-character code that follows VEN_ and DEV_ in those strings?

--------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  5. Blackstar57

Yes it is Frank. Except System says it's Windows 8.1. I have internet access again with the cat5 connected after a reboot. Still no wireless connection. All I have in the task bar is the little monitor icon, not the pyramid style for wireless.

Thank you

Glenn

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Please re-read post #2 and reply to all of the second section.

You say the wired ethernet device is now working and you're able to get an active connection?

---------------------------------------------------------------

7. Blackstar57

Sorry, getting ahead of myself.

I have Qualcomm Atheros Ar8162/8166/8168 pci-E fast Ethernet controller (ndis 6.30) Device working properly.
    ven_1969&dev1090
    The next one:
    Qualcom Atheros ar956x wireless network adapter. Device working properly.
    ven_168c&dev0036

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    As you have already confirmed:

Vendor code 1969 and device code 1090 are assigned to a Qualcomm Atheros AR8162/8166/8168 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.30).
    The Windows 8.1 driver listed for it at the Microsoft Update catalog site is version 2.1.0.21 and is dated 07/16/2013.

Vendor code 168C and device code 0036 are assigned to a Qualcomm Atheros AR956x Wireless Network Adapter.
    The Windows 8.1 driver listed for it at the Microsoft Update catalog site is version 10.0.0.308 and is dated 12/11/2014.

Select the "Driver" tab for each device and then advise what the exact driver version and driver date is for each one.

You didn't answer the question in post #6.

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I've been here on-and-off for the last 6 hours, so I'm shutting down for the rest of the day and won't be back here until tomorrow morning.

If for some reason you can't get the built-in wireless device in that laptop to work, you may need to resort to using an external USB wireless adapter.
    I've seen it occasionally go bad in a laptop, and that's the quickest and easiest way to regain a wireless connection.
    That's one reason why I keep a couple of them as spares.

----------------------------------------------------------------

10. Blackstar57

Sorry for the delay Frank. Some people dropped in with their dog and another dog my Wife had here, babysitting, went ballistic.

Post 6= yes. I have wired internet connection.
    Ethernet controller is ver. 2.1.0.16, 2013 04 01
    wireless is ver. 10.0.0. 301, 2014 10 17

I will check Windows update. But these adapters are the ones that I manually picked out of the Toshiba site.

Thank you for your time Frank.

11. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Make sure you have an active ethernet connection.
    Select the "Driver" tab for each device, then select the "Update Driver" option.
    Allow for each device to automatically search the internet for an updated driver and install it.
    If all goes well, both devices should update to versions 2.1.0.21 and 10.0.0.308 (or possibly newer).
    I don't know if updating the wireless driver will force that device to kick in and work, but it won't hurt to try.

Examine the outside of that laptop case and see if it has a moveable wireless switch.
    If it does, it's very possible that it was accidentally switched off.

12. Blackstar57

Morning Frank... Happy New Year!

I did those things last night. I selected to update both drivers and Windows decided I had the best drivers available.

I also checked the case for a manual switch ;) Had an older HP that had that switch.

I'm trying the updates again and will let you know...

Glenn

13. Blackstar57

Same outcome. Windows had determined the driver software for your device is up to date.

14. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Unless someone else here has a solution to your wireless issue, you may be forced to install and use an external USB wireless adapter.
    There are numerous brands and models and styles to choose from, so you'll need to do some research.

--------------------------------------------------------------

15. Blackstar57

I think this may be the case. Thank you Frank. Your help is appreciated. :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1183169

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice