1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ZA acting?

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by pons, Dec 30, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pons

pons Thread Starter

Hi, I've been having problems with my computer on and off for a while now. The last led to a format of the HDD and reinstall of aplications. First my antivirus program (AVG), and then ZoneAlarm.
    After installing ZA I began having problems again: freezes, the compt hanging and so on.
    I uninstalled ZA and I removed all traces of it in the registry and the problems are gone.
    I should mention that the aplication causing most problems was OE...
    Has anyone heard of such a thing? I really want to use ZA but I'm afraid to d/l it again. Can somebody help me?
    Thank you in advance
    sebastian pons

2. LadyLisa

LadyLisa

pons

in the Security settings in Z/A if you have 'Mail safe e-mail Protection' enabled it can cause a conflict with other mail-checking or virus scanning software you have installed.
    It is enabled by default so this could have been the cause of OE freezing or hanging.

3. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

4. pons

pons Thread Starter

Well, Ladylisa, I use AVG antivirus program and it does have mail scaning options. You might be right in your asertion so I d/l ZA, but I haven't installed yet since I want to try first Rollin' Rog sugestion about TPF.
    Working without a firewall has solved the problem but I feel "naked" everytime I enter the internet...
    Thank you both for your help. Cordially
    sebastian pons

5. pons

pons Thread Starter

Hi, My Report

I've downloaded both the ZA and TPF, but I installed only TPF for the time being. I too have heard of problems arising because of use of the new version. I'll be waiting for better times when any wrinkles have been ironed..., as I liked ZA.

As for TPF I've installed it in my machine with no ill effects. I'm using it "strait from the box" as it were, and the only input from my side has been answering the questions of the program itself when visiting a new site etc...

Is there anything to setup, or it is OK to use it with the defaults?

Have a wonderful weekend. Peace
    sebastian pons

6. Dark Star

Dark Star

pons,

While I've always used Z/A without any problems (knock wood) I've had one instance where Z/A caused problems so I used TPF on that machine and found all I needed to better complete the set up here......

http://members.rogers.com/zyklon/tpf.html

I think you will find it beneficial as TPF is not as user friendly to set up as Z/A.

7. pons

pons Thread Starter

Hello Dark Star, and thank you for the input. Still, I went to the site you directed me and discover that there are so many things, that I'm lost. What I need to know is what to check on uncheck in the boxes:
    Forgt for now filter rules, I'd go with defaults on this one, but
    What to input in microsoft Networking?
    What about the miscellaneous screen?
    What are Aplication's MD5?
    And I expect there are many others settings I'll be descovering as I go along.
    Is there a web page somewhere of people that use TPF?
    Thank you
    sebastian pons

8. Dark Star

Dark Star

pons,

Here is a workgroups web page just for TPF users

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tinyfirewall/

Yes you can go with defaults, but the webpage will allow you to register in and get the specifics.
    Good luck and let us know how you did there.

DS

9. Dark Star

Dark Star

pons,

I just found this link that was posted here some time back by another member in it you will find an older version of Z/A as well
    perhaps the prior version of Z/A will work for you.....

http://www.oldversion.com/

It is a good site to bookmark anyway because older is not always better and there is more there than just Z/A

Good Luck

DS

10. mole

mole

For what its worth, it may be the problems ZA can cause are really that it is not getting an answer to a question it frequently asks after a fresh install - "Do you want XXX to connect to the internet?" In the mush of setting things up, it might be that one of these questions has gone unanswered/unnoticed/unalerted thus causing an otherwise harmless application like OE to get hung and destabilize the system. Frequent visits to the "Programs" section of ZA might help cut down on this kind of behavior. It is reasonable that OE would want to connect to the internet and if the request from ZA for permission went unanswered or was erroneously answered "NO", it might cause destabilization. When my internet connection drops while OE is checking mail my system goes nuts.

I don't mean to suggest that this is the cuse of your particular problem, but after observing several fresh installs of ZA over the past few weeks, this might be part of the cause of poor behavior others have experienced.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63541

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice