1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ZA and McAfee conflict?

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by shortnpretty, Sep 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shortnpretty

shortnpretty Thread Starter

I recently had an update download for my McAfee Virus Program and not too long after that my computer started crashing. I have Windows XP Home. This morning I had problems getting windows to even load. I even tried to boot into safe mode and couldn't. Eventually I was able to get windows to load (after several reboots) and as I clicked onto my desktop I watched as programs loaded. It appeared to me that ZA and McAfee were having some type of conflict. I came to this conclusion because after these programs loaded, is when my computer would restart yet again. Eventually, I was able to stay up long enough to disable both programs. Now, I have no problem with the crashing, but now my Antivirus Program is disabled and I haven't got a firewall protecting me. By the way, a system error popped up and from what I could read before computer restarted there was an error message regarding a "True Vector". A google search brought me to different forums that listed similar problems I am having. Apparently, the latest free ZA update (which I installed a couple of weeks ago) is receiving alot of bad reviews and it was suggested that ZA be uninstalled.

Has anyone else reported a conflict problem? Is there any suggestions or advise you can give me?

Thanks in advance!!!!

2. $teve

$teve

yes my dear:D

un-install Z/A....set mcafee to run as normal and download an earlier version of Z/.A from here.
    CLICK ME
    i never download new versions until the guineepigs(like you:D) have sorted it out for me.

let us know if it works.

;)

3. shortnpretty

shortnpretty Thread Starter

:p Ok Sugar...thanks, I think. :rolleyes: ;) :D

guinee pig Tonya :p :p

4. $teve

$teve

better to say...."fluffy-bunny" tonya.
    :D

your welcome suger.......i think;)

5. BillC

BillC

I know of no particular problem with McAfee and the latest free Zone Alarm. It could be that your upgrade to the latest version may not have gone just right. True Vector is the firewall's work horse engine. What I suggest you do is totally uninstall ZA and then install the latest version.

Do it like this, Download the pro version of ZA 4.0 (go to download.com and do a search for ZoneAlarm) and go thru the whole thing like you were going to leave it on, select a clean install when it asks. Next go into the start menu and the zonelabs entry and right click on the uninstaller and select properties. Now in the target box you need to add a space and then /clean to the end so that it looks something like
    this C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe /clean then click apply and then OK.

Open ZA and turn off the load on boot option, then reboot and then run the uninstaller This will get rid of ZA for you. Now go to your windows temp folder and delete everything, then find the folder named Internet logs and delete it then empty your recycle bin. ZA should be gone.

Now you free to install the latest free version. :)

BTW, make sure you've turned off your XP firewall.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167366

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice