1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Zalman notebook cooler super loud

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kman1000, Dec 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kman1000

kman1000 Thread Starter

I bought the Zalman pad listed in the recommendation here:
    http://forums.techguy.org/7577529-post9.html

It was working very good as far as I know for the first year and a half. Just about five weeks ago though, it started gradually getting louder and louder. Now, it is super loud. I can not even use it because it hurts my ears when I turn it on. I took the entire thing apart and cleaned it of all the dust accumulated but that is not the problem. It still is super loud. How do I fix this?

OR

Is this simply the normal lifespan of a laptop cooler? I kept the cooler on full blast the entire time I've had it and it still looks just fine. Should I just get a new one and expect to replace it after a year or two? (I wonder do any of you all build your own coolers...) Thank you!

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    One or more of the fans have worn out, just as they can inside the laptop, computer, or any fan cooled device. The failure could be due to the dust getting inside the fan - cleaning it out after the damage usually doesn't help and they should be kept clean during normal use. If the fan(s) are easily replaceable you can just replace the problem fan(s) with a same size fan. If the fans are an odd size or require a good deal of work to replace/re-wire then you may want to get a whole new cooling pad.

3. kman1000

kman1000 Thread Starter

I may have to provide some video and pics of this because it does not sound like to me that the excessive noise is coming from the fans. It seems to be originating from the area where the volume control is. I don't know what it is called but if I show you pics and video, you or someone here can identify it probably.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The cooling pad shouldn't have a volume control. It may have a speed control for the fans though, is that what you mean?

5. kman1000

kman1000 Thread Starter

Jeez, I am sorry! Yes, that is what I meant.

The noise is coming from the speed control area.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    That's a little odd as I wouldn't expect there to be much to the speed controller that would create a noise. Does the sound occur with the cooler plugged into any USB port on the laptop or just one? Any other USB devices connected? Maybe it's a power issue, not enough or too much draw from a faulty fan. I wouldn't know what in the controller unit would the problem or it was repairable.

7. kman1000

kman1000 Thread Starter

I haven't tried the other USB ports. I didn't think it would make a difference. Also, yes, my other two USB ports are taken by my two USB external HDDs. I guess I need to purchase an external USB hub then because I can't test the other ports since they are taken.

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Temporarily unplug the all the other devices and test with only the cooler plugged in. You may have also overloaded the USB ports.

I wouldn't buy a USB hub just for this if you do not plan on keeping the laptop. If you ever do buy a USB hub make sure it's one that is powered from it's own power adapter and doesn't suck power from the laptop's USB ports; those USB powered hubs are problematic for many people.

9. kman1000

kman1000 Thread Starter

I guess I could test it very quickly by itself during a restart.

Perhaps that is why the laptop cooler is messing up. It too is a USB powered laptop cooler. Again, I did not think it mattered, I am going to have to pay more attention to all the complete specifications of everything I buy. All this stuff I keep thinking is not significant is turning out to be really important.

I am definitely keeping the laptop, I just wasn't sure if it is due time for a new desktop.

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I wouldn't buy any any USB hub until or new cooler or fans until you determine the cause of problem.

There should be no reason you shouldn't be able to unplug the USB drives and connect the cooler to another USB port. In fact you could connect the cooler to any other laptop or desktop computer's USB port to see if the sound still occurs.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083061

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice