1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Zenbook UX31A-2DC4 won't connect at work

Discussion in 'Networking' started by recDNA, Sep 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. recDNA

recDNA Thread Starter

Running windows 8.1. Not compatible for W10. I can connect to wifi fine at home or xfinity hotspots or open wifi like McDonald's. Cannot connect at work. Tech in IT stumped. Network tech stumped. Sometimes I connect & get no net access. Sometimes I connect then lose connection in seconds
    Usually I cannot connect at all then all hotspots disappear and I must reset wifi device to see them again.

I was thinking of trying a cheap ebay usb wifi device. Will using it screw up my computer even worse? Like will its drivers cause mine to be erased or something?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Trying a USB wireless adapter is a good idea. If it were me I'd buy from a reputable retailer, such as NewEgg, Amazon, Best Buy or Walmart.

3. recDNA

recDNA Thread Starter

Do I disable built in adapter first?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Yes, I would. Or just switch it off if there is a hardware button for that.

5. recDNA

recDNA Thread Starter

So anyway I got a cheap Realtek usb wifi receiver from eBay. Never expected it to work. Worked like a charm. No problem logging on now. The built in one is Centrino. Why does the usb wifi work and not native wifi when the native wifi works everywhere else?

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Once in a great while there is a particular adapter and particular router (or wireless access point) that just refuse to play nice together.

7. recDNA

recDNA Thread Starter

Very frustrating. Thanks though.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :)

9. recDNA

recDNA Thread Starter

Hey just to put a happy ending on the story I got the original adapter to work! What I did was check advanced settings for both the Centrino wifi adapter and realtek USB wifi adapter. Some settings categories were completely different but some were the same so I looked at those. Both had 802 N enabled. Both had 10k-20k hz. The very bottom advanced setting was simply called wifi. The realtek (which connected fine) had b-g mode selected. The Centrino was a-b-g. You would think a-b-g would be fine covering all bands but I changed the Centrino to match the realtek and switched it to b-g. I then unplugged the realtek and enabled tye Centrino adapter and before I could even check it had connected to my work network and I had N speed wifi. Anyway problem solved but theory isn't. Why the hell was that setting the key? Even our networking expert didn't think of changing it although he tried many other changes that had no effect.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    a-b-g didn't work, but b-g gave n speeds? Really makes no sense since max. nominal g bandwidth is 56 Mbps, considerably less than n.

Maybe wrong driver, or whoever wrote the driver code is not exactly the most careful!

11. recDNA

recDNA Thread Starter

Really to me the speed wasn't the key. It wouldn't connect at all under a-b-g but would under b-g. In both 802 N is a separate category which was enabled. It is possible I was connected to g and not n although I know our work network is N. The original driver was the same then I installed an updated driver from windows but on both the issue was that last setting. Something about the a-b-g mode(is that what it is called?) would not connect but under b-g mode it would. In that last setting N is not one of the choices. It is at the top and is enabled.

You are correct. When I got home it would no longer connect to my N network on wireless mode b-g. I had to change it back to a-b-g to connect to N. Apparently at work I can now connect to G by keeping wireless mode b-g. That's fine because our N network isn't that fast anyway and I really don't need faster connection. As long as I CAN connect. I tried wireless mode a-g and that gave me blue screen of death so I will stick to a-b-g at home and b-g wireless mode at work. I wonder why I cannot connect to N at work? connection speed in wifi adapter is 144mbps so that must be N right? G only goes to 108

I don't know I'm getting 77 mbps download speed at home (Oogla) but can only connect to 2.4ghz band. The 5ghz band disappears. Clearly I have no clue about this stuff. I'm confusing 2.4 vs 5 ghz with G vs N bands. I thought work was a 5 ghz network but I can only connect with wireless mode b-g so that means I am connecting to a 2.4ghz network. They must broadcast both bands with same name. At home I show each with a different name so I know that without the a band I lose 5ghz capability

I wonder why the realtek was preset to b-g and not a-b-g? Well at least I can use built in adapter for work and home as long as I leave it set to wireless mode b-g

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1196834

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice