1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Zero footprint Web browser runs from a USB sitck?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by StumpedTechy, Aug 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy Thread Starter

I want to know if there is any web browser programs that can be loaded on a USB stick that leaves no footprint of web activities on the local PC its connected to? E.G. no cookies, favorites, no history, no cache and so fourth.

I do a fair amount of web searching on peoples computers to resolve problems but I don't want the users coming back and investigating the sites I go to to resolve problems (for fear they may try some of these "fixes' on their own). I don't want to clear their cache as it keeps their information.

Just would be a handy tool to have in my PC repair arsenal.

Any takers?

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Chuck Trusted Advisor

I have never tried it but someone has created a portable version of Firefox:

http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable

... Plus, thanks to the PortableApps.com launcher bundled in Mozilla Firefox - Portable Edition, it leaves no personal information behind on the machine you run it on, so you can take your favorite browser along with all your favorite bookmarks and extensions with you wherever you go.​

Not sure if personal information includes browser cache and history.

3. StumpedTechy

I'll have to try it to check it out. I saw this before but didn't see any mention of it being totally self contained with nothing left on the PC itself.

4. thatcoolguy

thatcoolguy

Portable Firefox leaves it's mark in the applications data folder and the registry.

Ghostzilla is about as stealth as any that I know, w/o leaving a folder in the app's data folder or the registry.

5. StumpedTechy

Yeah I am noticing this I'll check out Ghostzilla.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/491404