1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Zip Drive Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kcook, Apr 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kcook

kcook Thread Starter

I have a DataTraveler 200 zip plugged into my F Drive. The data on that drive has suddenly become inaccessible. The zip drive lights up when plugged in and the computer recognizes that it's there. In fact if I open a document from a different drive that is also resident on the zip drive the computer asks if I want to merge it with the document on the F Drive.
    I have unplugged and reinserted the zip several time into 3 different UBS ports. I have also rebooted several times.
    Any other ideas?
    Thanks

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Do you have a backup of anything important on the drive?

FWIW zip drives/disks were not all that reliable years ago. That is why they are not used today.

3. kcook

kcook Thread Starter

Thanks for your prompt response.
    No I don't.
    I moved all important data off my hard drive to the zip after a crash lost all my data about a year ago.
    I guess I didn't solve that problem.

4. win2kpro

win2kpro

If I recall correctly a Data Traveler (made by Kingston) is a "flash drive". Are you referring to an actual ZIP drive (which used a disc slightly larger than a floppy drive) or a "flash drive" aka "thumb drive", "jump drive".

If you are speaking of a flash drive you might do a Google search for some free recovery software that may be able to recover your files. If you are speaking of a ZIP drive some of the recovery software will also recover from zips. ZIP drives were made in 3 capacities, 100MB, 250MB and 750MB. Attached is a pic of ZIP discs.

I never really had any problems when I used ZIP drives until the drive itself failed. "Flash drives" have a high rate of failure. I have an old 512MB "flash drive" that stopped reading data and I was able to get it to read data by squeezing the drive when I inserted it in a USB port and continued to apply pressure as I recovered the data. It actually still works today with a rubber band holding it together although I only trust it when moving data from one machine to another.

Attached Files:

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It does not do you any good now however data you do not have at least two copies of [on separate media] is data you do not care about. ALL drives fail; it is only a question of when your drive will fail.

Have you tried the drive in another system? If that fails, you can take the drive and disk to a data recovery shop and see if they can read it. They will give you an estimate as to the cost before doing any actual recovery. This is not cheap however if the data is important to you, then it is an option.

6. kcook

kcook Thread Starter

Thanks
    Tough way to learn a lesson.
    And, yes, the data is very valuable to me. I'll try to find a local recovery shop.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916815

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice