1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

zip drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pmarc, Dec 31, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pmarc

pmarc Thread Starter

I have a pc and want to send zip discs to magazine publishers, which of course have mac's.

I bought zip discs labeled "mac". My pc says "disc not formatted, want to format now"? I assume if I do format now, magazines will not get a mac formatting. Right?

Or, should I use pc formated discs? But magazines won't get mac formatting, right??

Confused...

2. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Both of your statements are correct.

It would be nice to send Mac-formatted disks to publishers. But, publishers, if they are going to stay in business, are going to have to be able to read IBM disks.

Writing as one who has experience with publishers worldwide (pictures published in over forty countries), I would find it highly unlikely that any publisher would not have the ability of handling IBM disks.

To answer your question about the formatting, the only difference between the Mac-formatted disks and the IBM-formatted disks, the formatting is the only difference. I once found some Mac-formatted Zip disks at deep discount sitting right next to the IBM-formatted disks which were at regular price. I bought the Mac-formatted disks and reformatted them in my IBM-compatible machine. Obviously, someone who worked at that store didn't understand there was really no difference between the two.

3. pmarc

pmarc Thread Starter

Just curious.... your background. I just did catalog photograpy - digital. We made Cape Cod in December look like summer. Challenging. But north of the Cape, where I live, it snowed 7 inches, just before the original shoot date. I'm lucky to have the Cape as a back-up resource. A real life saver this time. They don't get snow there.

Anyway, so what's your angle? Are my troublesome experiences with CD's common? Was I right to switch to Zip? My photographer gave me 2 sets of CD's. By the time my graphiocs artist and myself used several imaging software packages, we saw no rhyme or reason to our results - some files ok, others blurred imgaes, others couldn't be opened. I was told the zip approach would eliminate every problem if the master CD was ok.

So what do you do, beside looking for leads... sounds like you don't need them, Mr. Worldly.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63678

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice