1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Zip Drives

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by stryker23, Feb 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stryker23

stryker23 Thread Starter

I'm asking this question for a friend who wants to buy a zip drive and wants to know if its a 750mb zip drive does that just mean it will only take those size disc and vice versa with the 250 mb? I really don't know that much about them besides you can use them to back up data, so i didn't really know what to tell him so will someone just explain them to me. Advantages and Limitations.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The ZIP 750 will read 750 MB, 250 MB, and 100 MB disks and write to 750 MB and 250MB disks. A ZIP 250 works with 250MB and 100MB disks and the ZIP only works with 100MB disks.

ZIP drives are much less popular then CD-RW/DVD_RW drives, less compatible, and less reliable(at least from my experience). Unless there's a specific reason he needs one its better to get a CD/DVD burner.

3. stryker23

stryker23 Thread Starter

Ok thanks for the help that explains it. I already told him cds would be better but i wanted to let him know how the zip drives worked.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I have four or five 100 and 250 Zip drives in the closet, IMO they're pretty useless nowadays. I'd much rather have 256MB USB FLASH modules, which can be had for about the price of ZIP media. They're smaller, a whole lot more reliable, and faster.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/330099

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice