Zip File Program Activation

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

[email protected]

Arial Black6Sienna
I recently downloaded the WinZip 9.0 Program, and it is the first
time that I am using Zip Files. My Question is, after unzipping the file, how
do I initiate the program, in this case, eliminating a file when Windows states,
that it cannot be deleted ? And what does, DOS, have to do with it ? My OS is Windows XP Professional.

Thank you,

Bill

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I really doubt that what you're experiencing has anything to do with WinZip. How about telling us exactly what you're unzipping, and exactly what error message you get and when in the process you get it.

[email protected]

I agree with you John.This program I downloaded to a zip file,runs from a DOS Command Window, what ever that means?? This is where I am at a loss.... The program is to get rid of files, that Windows says cannot be deleted. I do not get an
error message. The program (WhoLockMe) #47728, was taken from the PC World Web Site,and when unzipping it will open in the IE Window.

Thanks,

Bill

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I downloaded this file, and it's an ordinary ZIP file. I opened it, and there's an install file that you follow the instructions and it'll install the application. Use the WinZip wizard.

[email protected]

I apologize for not answering promptly,but the suggestion by John Will has
cleared everything up.

Thanks again,

Bill

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
What did you need WinZip for. XP can open zip files by default. Granted I do prefer to use WinZip, but for most new people I just tell them to use the built in functionality of XP.

[email protected]

I appreciate your help, I can now open zip files, with WinZip. How do you
open with default, on XP ?
Thanks,

Bill

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
I appreciate your help, I can now open zip files, with WinZip. How do you
open with default, on XP ?
Thanks,

Bill
It just does it. It is built into the operating system. But once you install WinZip it takes over as the default application for zip files. If you uninstall WinZip you can just let XP take care of opening your Zip Files.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online