1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Zip Files & Email

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by markwalker, Jan 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. markwalker

markwalker Thread Starter

:) I know zip files are a way of compacting a large file and thus making it easier to send over the internet, or so i thought...

I want to Zip a file from Window's media player, the file is about 4meg. I then wanna send this via email to a friend of mine.

How i went about this.......

Went into the file, high-lighted it, right mouse clicked, option came up... zip and send as email? Yes please. Went to send it and it took 30 mins to send, and after all that it still didn't work, it never left my outbox even after saying 100% complete.

When you Zip and send a file should it take that long? Is that the norm? Have i done something wrong?

I'm running on window's ME for your info and have the latest version of Winzip.

Thanks in advance

Mark

2. Monk_

Monk_

Try zipping the file in Winzip then sending it as an email attachment rather than using the right click option.

3. jbcalg

jbcalg

note: most ISPs have a size limit on what you can send, anywhere from 3mb - 5mb

if that might be the case
    here's another way to zip/send large files

winzip can zip large files onto multiple floppies
    choose the option before starting the zip
    zip onto what ever number of floppies it takes
    then copy the floppy files back to your hdd
    email them one, or 2, at a time

[edit]the receiving end has to save them back onto floppies to unzip and should label them 1,2, etc

[edit2] brain just clicked on again - OE has a feature where you can break up file sizes larger than a set amount, just had to do that today to send a 5mb file

tools, accounts, (pick account) properties, advanced, sending (adjust the send file break up amount to 2 or 3 mb), apply

4. ian.t

ian.t

Also worth bearing in mind that some file types, such as MPEG, do not compress very well.
    Usually best to zip up the file/s you want onto the desktop, or somewhere, right click and view the size before sending.

ian.t

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65246

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice