1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Zip Fixer

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Reviews' started by bcon76, Dec 21, 2001.

Unmark Solved
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bcon76

bcon76 Guest Thread Starter

I'm sure I'm not the first person to post this tip but I was just so excited with the time it saved me that I had to share my experience with the world.

If you are like me then you are a pore sole who still uses a 56k modem but you find yourself downloading large files. You know, 50mb, 100mb, even 200mb. The largest file I downloaded was a zipped 360mb Iso Linix OS distribution. Why? Because I can.

Anyway, downloading many files you will eventually run into a corrupted zip file or a file that gives you the familiar "this is not a valid win32 application" and you are stuck downloading it again.

Well the answer to this problem I came up with is a 35kb public domain utility called Zip Fixer. Now you may say so what, there are other programs that repair corrupted zip files. But the best thing about this app is that it has even worked on non-zip files. I just got done downloading a 50mb exe and it turned out to be corrupted. What the hell, I ran it through Zip Fixer. Zip fixer restored it and zipped it.

I'm not saying it will fix every corrupted file but it's worth a try.

Click http://www.systweak.com/download.htm for the site to download Zip Fixer. It will be listed as Zip File Repair.

2. deuce

deuce

Wow thanks for the link. Maybe I can use this on some of my corrupted files that I can't fix. I must have hundreds of them in here...

3. bcon76

bcon76 Guest Thread Starter

I dug around and it was hit or miss with my files but I was pleased none the less. Through more use I think the majority of the time they are files that are Zip files but are just displayed incorrectly. Just one more reason to DL the Zipped version of a file if offered.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62488

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice