1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

.zlg file type

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by jonuck, Sep 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jonuck

jonuck Thread Starter

Have received an attachment containing family pictures with an extension called .zlg, when I attempt to open this my system tells me that there is no program associated with this file type and therefore access is denied. My research would indicate that this file is associated with ZoneAlarm but can not understand why I cannot access on my machine. Would appreciate more info. I am using Win 98se with IE6 and Outlook Express. :confused:

2. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

Zone alarm Mailsafe is renaming the extension - This one is .lnk

3. jonuck

jonuck Thread Starter

Many thanks MFDnSC for your response, however I am still confused as to why I cannot not access the file on my system or is the file as is inaccessible. Maybe it would be less confusing if I ask my nephew to re-submit the file in a more accessible format. :confused:

jonuck.

4. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

A .lnk is a short cut and that is why it won't work as its target is on a different machine - IMHO

5. TOGG

TOGG

Your nephew may be using Zonelog which is not part of ZA but is a third party 'add on' ;http://zonelog.co.uk/ As MFDnSC says, the ZA e-mail scanner seems to be renaming the jpg or gif to .lnk.http://filext.com/detaillist.php?extdetail=ZLG

Ask your nephew to disable Zonelog and try sending the pictures again. If that doesn't work, he may have to disable ZA itself for long enough to send the attachment because it may be treating it as 'dangerous', hence the rename.

PS. It amy not be necessary to disable ZA if your nephew has a version that would allow him to switch off the scanning of outgoing e-mail. I only have the free version, which has very limited e-mail features.

6. hewee

hewee

You can just rename the file with the right extension name.

Inbound MailSafe protection
    Potentially dangerous attachments can be identified by their file name extensions-the characters that appear after the "dot" in a file name. They identify the file type so that the appropriate program or system component can open it.

For example:

.exe (an executable file)

.js (a JavaScript file)

.bat (a batch process file)

When an e-mail message with an attachment arrives in your Inbox, MailSafe examines the attachment's file name extension and compares it to the extensions on the attachments list. If the attachment type appears on the list and if attachments of that type are set to quarantine, Zone Labs security software changes the file name extension to ".zl*" (where * is a number or letter).

Changing the filename extension quarantines the attachment by keeping it from running automatically. When you open the e-mail containing the attachment, Zone Labs security software displays a MailSafe alert to let you know that it has quarantined the attachment. If you try to open the attachment, an alert warns you of the potential risk involved. However, you are still able to open the attachment if you are sure that it is safe.

Inbound MailSafe protection works with any e-mail application that uses POP3 or IMAP protocols. .

------------------

But run a scan on the file first to make sure it is safe to open.

7. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

According to this http://www.icdatamaster.com/z.html ist is the result of renaming a .lnk. If that is the case he can do nothing except getting the sender to send the file not the shortcut.

8. hewee

hewee

But it only rename the .ink to .zlg so all you need to do is rename it again back to .ink.

9. BillC

BillC

I agree with hewee but will add that you need to save the attachment to My Documents, then go there, right click on it, then select rename, then change to .ink. Bingo!

10. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

Nope, renaming back to a .lnk will only give him a link to a file on another PC which will not work.

11. hewee

hewee

It is a shortcut file so your right.

But it will work but it will be a dead link if it is not pointing to something you can get to.

12. jonuck

jonuck Thread Starter

Many thanks you guys, all is now clear to me, what my nephew sent to me is indeed a link or shortcut to a file or files on his computer, if I had made more note of size of the attachment, only 621bytes, I should have realized this. I will inform him of your observations and get him to disable whatever mailsafe mechanism he is using.

jonuck :) (y)

13. hewee

hewee

Your welcome amd good luck.
    But again if he does not disable whatever mailsafe he can still get you the file but he need to point to the file that the shortcut is point to.
    Then you can do the renaming like I said but you then have the real file on your PC.

I think if he just takes what ever file he wants to send you and zip it up your be ok because Zone Alarm MailSafe does not rename the zip file. So then he can just email you and you can unzip it.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/273173

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice