1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Zone Alarm blocked intrusions

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by harlestone, Sep 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. harlestone

harlestone Thread Starter

Hi
    I wonder if any one could tell me the average figure for blocked intrusions
    mine at present is approximately nine thousand with fifteen hundered of them being high rated,these figures are for a period of three weeks. I also have Norton anti virus, my computer must be on the net an average of six hours a day.
    I only ask as it seems to be a high figure but do not really have a clue if this is the case.
    thanks

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    well at least the firewall is working - do you have a home network at all -
    I have had 100 blocked today in last 4 hours

3. harlestone

Thanks etaf seems on the calculator you would of had 12000 odd intrusions over three weeks how about the figure for high rated I dont suppose you would share this with me

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    whats you firewall - I have a company version sygate on onePC, zonealarm on a second PC - and sygate free on a third - thats total blocked intrusions from one PC (which i think may be polled from the router),
    I'll look at zonealarm

5. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i have had 50 high since 17/9 on zonelabs on a laptop which is one for a few hours max a day. its been on most of this weekend though

6. harlestone

Thanks etaf Seems I have nothing to concern myself with these snoops cheese me off. sometimes I think is the internet really worth having at home !

7. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    see if other comeback with any concern - at the end of the day the firewall is doing its job correctly of blocking.
    somewhere in this forum you may find some howtos find which IP is attemping to connect who it is program

8. hewee

hewee

I have zero hit on Zone Alarm. :D Wait I was reading a .pdf file and got a hit but said no to it.

Got to love the router.

Use Netscape and have have ZA setting on high.

9. Enstygator

Enstygator

To get a better understanding of what is going on with the firewall logs, you might want to read these two links I'm providing. It is interesting reading to learn a little about port intrusions, and a little about hacking. This information is not intended to educate anyone on how to hack, only to give those interested a little information to better understand what is going on when someone is looking for an open port on your computer.

Click here for learning about firewall logs

A little bit on hacking

10. Enstygator

Enstygator

Harlestone, what are you using for a firewall? It seems it is doing it's job, whatever you are using. That's not an unusual amount of blocked intrusions. Just imagine if you didn't have a firewall running. There are still tons of people that don't, and their systems are easy pickings for those that have nothing better to do than slip into someone elses system and pry, or worse.

11. harlestone

Hewee yes I am not very good at this, but thanks. I have a feeling I got some major geeks on my back. perhaps another 512mb of memory to go with the 512 I have at the moment will help., Its the system speed I want to preserve as I gave up the idea of privacy on the net three months ago I reckon these guys would have a go even if I had a router.
    thanks for your expertise.

12. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    but you firewall is blocking the intrusions so whats the problem?

13. Enstygator

Enstygator

As long as you have a decent software firewall enabled on your computer, you have nothing to fear as far as the privacy regarding someone looking into your computer. As long as you keep your anti-virus program up to date, that will keep the back door programs from opening a door on your computer for intrusions. A router wiould give you a second fence for them to get around, although a router can be seen on the net. A software firewall should keep your computer invisible on the net. A real hacker can probably get around the firewall and router if he really wanted too, but it would take a whole lot of trouble and work, and unless you're storing top secret Government documents on your computer, then I doubt you have anything to worry about. Most hackers and crackers are looking for easy targets, or a benefit to hacking your computer. The firewall is showing you that it's doing it's job by logging the port probes and the pings. I think you can relax. ;)

14. harlestone

thanks Enstygator but Ithink I made a crucial mistake just after I installed Zone Alarm as I Okayed a request for messnger to act as a server. My hard disk seems to be working over time after boot. I may of Okayed other dubious requests accidentally and I feel this has comprimised my security.
    Of course I may be wrong I will read up on the links you supplied but will have to
    read again and again even then I may not get it.Still thanks again

15. Enstygator

Enstygator

It's been awhile since I've last used Zonealarm, but I know there's a section in there where you can block applications from accessing the Internet. As for messenger, you can log in as the administrator if you're running Windows XP, go to the control panel, open the administrative tools, open services, scroll down to messenger, right click on it, choose properties, stop the service, choose disable for start up type, and click on apply.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275697

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice