1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Zone Alarm difficulties

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by gibby26, Jan 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gibby26

gibby26 Thread Starter

I have a new Sony laptop - bought it in late November to replace my aging Dell laptop. The Sony has been super so far. I have a wireless home network with my wife's Mac as the only other computer on the network. We use a Linksys router supplied by Earthlink. I run AVG, Microsoft Antivirus Beta, Ad-Aware, Ewido, and Spybot Search & Destroy - updating all several times weekly.

I've had no problems until a few weeks ago while staying at a motel on business. Picked up Spyaxe and another nasty one. Only able to get rid of them by going back a day to a previous Restore Point. Now all is again fine.

I figure my Linksys provides a nice firewall at home (also running the Windows XP SP2 firewall), but when away I wanted more security so I installed Zone Alarms trial firewall - the free trial one. I see that it automatically shuts down the Windows firewall, but when I first log onto a webpage or my e-mail it says it can't find the server. I turn off ZA, try to log on again, and then things work fine. Even after I then turn ZA back on, everything works fine.

What gives? I'd like to run ZA as extra protection, but this is a hassle. I've heard the plain Windows firewall s/b fine, but after my Spyaxe experience I'd like to have more security.

Any suggestions? ZA has "approved" my Firefox and Thunderbird programs, but I wonder if there are other settings I should change.

Thanks -
    gibby26

2. Flrman1

Flrman1

Try turning of the Cookie control and ad blocking in ZA. These are known to conflict with logons.

3. gibby26

gibby26 Thread Starter

Both were turned off already.

4. valis

valis Moderator

check to make sure that the internet is not locked (upper right hand corner). Pretty easy to accidentally do, as all it takes is ctrl-l.

5. gibby26

gibby26 Thread Starter

It's unlocked. It's weird. When I first boot up or open the laptop lid - waking it from hibernation - I get the message that I'm connected to my ISP, but when I click on my browser or e-mail program, it times out - can't find the server. I turn ZA off, and then I can open everything and connect just fine. And then when I turn ZA back on, everything still works fine. Wonder why it won't allow me to connect at first?

6. gibby26

gibby26 Thread Starter

I also noticed I have ZA Pro - I think it's a trial version. Is there another ZA product that's a free download?

7. valis

valis Moderator

here's the free one:

http://www.zonelabs.com/store/conte...sp?dc=12bms&ctry=US&lang=en&lid=staticcomp_za

same as the the trial version you got....just doesn't have hte bells and whistles. In two weeks, unless you pay for it, yours will auto revert to the freeware version. It's got to be some setting in there somewhere, should be relatively easy to find, as ZA isn't the most complicated app out there. Let me look around..

v

8. valis

valis Moderator

go to program control, in the left pane, and see what automatic lock is set at. Mine is set to off, fwiw.

9. hewee

hewee

10. gibby26

gibby26 Thread Starter

My Automatic Lock was (and is) set to Off. And I'm not sure how to go to ipconfig. I have only used my laptop at home since installing ZA, but I want to have the extra firewall protection when I travel. I know I can briefly turn it off and use the Windows f/w while I open my browser and e-mail - and then turn on ZA. It's just a hassle to do that. While at home, I'll probably just turn it off.

11. hewee

hewee

Just to start run type and type ipconfig. I have 98 and use Winipcfg that is more easy to use. Don't have to type out anything.
    I don't know for sure but if you have a router you can always take with you then on the road then I would thing ZA would see your network the same.

I know if I take the router away I have to renew my IP address because ZA will have me blocked. Then if I put the router back I have to renew the IP address again.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/432361

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice