1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Zone Alarm - I messed it up - what now?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by sue_spell, Jan 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sue_spell

sue_spell Thread Starter

Hi folks.

I installed the free version of Zone Alarm on an XP Box at home. My little home network has two other pc's on it. Total, I have 2 XP Home and 1 98 pc on the network. All are 192.168.0.n. I then have a D-Link router attached to my cable modem.

The XP box with Zone Alarm was working fine. My son uses it mostly. I don't know if I did something or he did, anyway... this pc now sometimes wont connect to the Internet and the other pc can't connect to it and it can not connect to them. Obviously we did something.

When it is acting up, I have to disable Zone Alarm and just use Windoze Firewall. I can't find the settings/properties for Zone Alarm.

How the heck do I fix it? I'm thinking about uninstalling it and just using Windows FW.

Advice?

Thank you.

2. iSpec

iSpec

To be blunt: get rid of ZoneAlarm. Although with much earlier versions (years ago) I had the same funny behaviour: sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. Some programs would be blocked, although unlisted, and thus should have been asked for. I switched to Tiny Personal Firewall, which later became Kerio Personal Firewall, but now only version 4 is available, that will supposedly switch back to V2 functionality after it's 30 day trial period (unless you buy), but V2 had more capabilities (whew). Alas, V2 is not available for download anymore.

I now use Outpost 1.0 (freeware) which is a VERY nice firewall, with lots of options, but fairly technical. For the 'familiy' systems I still use Kerio 2 because it's less intimidating...

Outpost can be found at Agnitum software (www.agnitum.com).

3. hewee

hewee

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!