1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Zone Alarm Internet Logs

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by silverado4, Nov 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. silverado4

silverado4 Thread Starter

I have a bunch of internet logs on my hard drive that were created by zone alarm, (see attached), plus a large TVBUG.log that seams to be growing. Do I need to keep these files on the drive? What is the tvbug.log? I just got a warning today from zone alarm, I checked the internet sub directory, and the date was today on that file. Thanks Silverado

Attached Files:

2. Sponsor

3. hewee

hewee

Well all the temp ones you can delete. Same with the logs. You may want to keep the newer log.
    But go into ZA and change it show you only get a new log every week or month.
    See all the temp files you have. If you also have other files that are the same sixe as the backup then they can be deleted too.
    Lots of the added files also get added when you reboot because ZA makes new ones because it restores things from the backup.
    Any of the files that ZA needs you can not delete because ZA will not let you.

So go ahead and clean them up. If your not sure then make a sub folder in the internet log folder and move the files there.
    Then look at how short the list is now. Look at it after starting your PC and it should be the same. But look again after a reboot or bad shut down and your see newer files so you can delete the older ones.

Anyhow once you get used to see just what really needs to be in the internet log folder your know what you can delete and then you have no need to have the sub folder to move things too so can just delete the files.

4. silverado4

Hewee:
    I'll do what you say, I'll delete the tmp, I thought that, but I wanted confirmation on it. I'll delete the older log files, but I'll take a look at ZA and see where I can change the settings to once a week. I never saw that, I have the free one, don't know if it's in that one or not.
    Thanks. Silverado.

Update:
    I looked at ZA, the only options with a check mark is "daily", what do I get if I take out the check mark, it doesn't give me what is save for time wise then?

5. hewee

hewee

Open ZA and click on Alerts and logs on the left side. Then in the upper right click on the main tab.
    Now go down and click on the advance button.
    Your get a popup and your see a log control tab so click on it.
    Now your see the option there. You can uncheck it so there is no log and if you want a log you can go up to 60 days. So pick 7 days.
    I got ZA Pro so not sure what you don't have on the free version.
    But in ZA what ever part your looking at if you click the help in the top right it will tell you more about that page your looking at and any pop up windows from that window when you click advance or custom buttons.
    But if you only have 1 day as a option then unchecking you will not not log anything.

Ok I got ZA Pro 4.x. It is a older version but it still works great and I use a router that blocks even more things so I don't see all the pings and other hits because they stop at the router. I am also using 98SE. So yours may not be the same as mine here in the screen shot.
    See the 3 that are high lighted? Those are ones that can be deleted. The one is a log and I get a new one every 30 days. The other two are what I get on a reboot

Well I can not upload a image here. :confused: I bring up the manage attachments window and it has a login window?:confused:
    Ok I will upload it and link it here.

[​IMG]

6. silverado4

I use a router also, So you are saying this will help also, I hope so, don't know much about them, it's a wired one. Silverado.

7. silverado4

Update:
    I deleted all my *.txt files except the latest one. I didn't have any Tmp files. I could not delete my tvDebug.log file.log, I didn't think I could, I though ZA needed it anyway, good. How can I reduce this file? What about my RDB & LDB Files, leave them alone? Thanks, Silverado

8. hewee

hewee

Yes a router always helps out. It helps hide your PC.
    Go here and run the free ShieldsUP! test. http://www.grc.com/zonealarm.htm
    I get Stealth or I should say a perfect "TruStealth" rating because all ports are Stealth.
    (There is NO EVIDENCE WHATSOEVER that a port (or even any computer) exists at this IP address!)

Post another screen shot of the files you have in the folder.
    The other 3 files can not be deleted. Don't know if you can delete the debug other ways or not but I think maybe if you stop za from starting up at boot up then you maybe able to delete it but sure about it. The .ldb I do not know what it is but mine is very small. The .rdb you need because that has all your setting etc in it. You also have 2 other files the same size and that is the backup.rdb and on a reboot you can get a .tmp file one the same size.
    So looking at my screen shot I keep all of the ones listed but the 3 that I high lighted.

9. silverado4

Here is my new screen shot, how does it look, the shot I didn't get, are backups above this. What is the vsmon file? Thanks

Attached Files:

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/520385