1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Zone Alarm, just out of interest?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by gromit77, Sep 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gromit77

gromit77 Thread Starter

Hi,

I installed Zone Alarm a couple of days ago on the advice of a friend. I've got Broadband and do tend to spend several hours at a time online. It says I've had 787 Intrusions blocked since install and 128 of those have been high rated.

I was just wondering what exactly does this mean, is a hacker trying to get at my PC or could it be something innocent?

It's quite worrying really as I've been on broadband since April without this protection. I'm pretty sure I had been hacked some time back and my PC may have been used as a server of some kind because I found a folder full of 70 or so software hacks for games and apps I'd never used. I've just formatted my C: drive and installed from scratch and installed Norton and Zone Alarm so I should be pretty safe now.......shouldn't I?

Thanks for any information or advice.

Neil

2. Miz

Miz

Since it does sound like you were hacked, everybody who was making use of your computer in the past is trying to get back in. Zone Alarm is stopping them.

In addition, there are thousands of people out there running port sniffers, trolling the net for vulnerable computers such as yours was without a firewall to use for whatever purposes they have in mind. You're going to get hits from them, too.

As long as ZA is doing its job, you should be okay. I haven't heard of anybody hacking through ZA...yet. That's not to say it hasn't happened or couldn't happen but ZA is still rated one of the best software firewalls available.

However, if you're running Norton's firewall, not just their anti-virus, along with Zone Alarm, you should choose one and disable the other. Two firewalls running don't give any extra protection and increase the chances of some major software conflicts...with the accompanying major headaches resolving them.

If you want to check the security of your computer, go to www.grc.com, browse around on that site for all the information you could ever want on internet security and run the security check available there.

3. BillC

BillC

... YEP. If you don't open attachments in your e-mail without scaning them first with your Norton antivirus.

4. gromit77

gromit77 Thread Starter

Thanks Bill, I am just running Norton anti virus with ZA so it should be OK.

Thanks again thats put my mind at rest!

Cheers

Neil

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166227

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice