1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Zone Alarm Security Suite -- two problems

Discussion in 'General Security' started by wgreene, Sep 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wgreene

wgreene Thread Starter

I recently purchased Zone Alarm Security Suite and I've had a couple of problems already, both of which have happened twice.

1. I've gotten notices on two occasions that my system might be at risk because my ZA anti-virus program appears to have been turned off. Sure enough, I check and see that it really is off, so I have to turn it back on.

QUESTION: Is it unusual for an AV program to somehow turn itself off, or would it be more likely that there is something sinister going on with my system?:confused:

2. Twice I've gotten the following message:

Zone Alarm Security Suite -- New Network
    New Network Found
    IP Address: ************
    Type: Public Network Detected

Zone Alarm Security Suite has found a connection between
    your computer and the Internet or another computer.

QUESTION: Is this message harmless, or is it something I should be concerned about.:confused:

Thank you.

2. masterjim

masterjim

Either you have a virus or Zone Alarm is conflicting with some other program. I had a virus completely disable my Zone Alarm firewall and AVG antivirus program back in my dial-up days. The "New Network" message is normal if you are on a network (wired or wireless).

3. wgreene

wgreene Thread Starter

Is there an easy way to determine if I have either a virus or a program conflict? Recent ZA AV checks haven't detected any viruses. Maybe I should run TM's Housecall.

I am not on a network, so I don't know what could be causing me to get the "New Network" message.

4. golferbob

golferbob

5. pfurball

pfurball

Howdy whgreene,
    A virus can definitely affect ZoneAlarm, take Bugbear for example, it disabled my AV,firewall and wouldn't let me do any online scans while it had control of my computer. My ZoneAlarm Security Suite picks up my adsl as a network connection and if your suite is fairly new, it takes a little while for it to get a snapshot of how you work your permissions and you will get fifty million alerts and permissions requests while it settles itself in. If in doubt, run a Panda or trend scan, can't hurt and elso contact ZoneAlarm online support as they are very helpful and quick to get back to you.
    I am also wondering if you have been taken over by one of those things that makes your computer a bot for spamming etc.?
    You might want to do a HiJackThis log and put it in the Malware Removal section, to be on the safe side.
    Regards Paula :)

6. masterjim

masterjim

Just get a second opinion from an online virus scan like TrendMicro's Housecall, Panda ActiveScan, Panda's Nanoscan (www.nanoscan.com) or PC Pit Stop (www.pcpitstop.com). Use one or all of them. You need to use IE for the Panda Scans because it requires Active X components.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/622795

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice