1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Zone Alarm spies on you?

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by Stoner, Jan 23, 2006.

Advertisement
  1. Stoner

Stoner Banned Thread Starter

I wasn't sure where to post this, so I thought I'd post it to my friends in Random even though it deserves a spot in 'Security'.

This article is making the rounds on the internet and those using Zone Alarm might want to follow up on it.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/01/13/73792_03OPcringley_1.html

excerpt>>>

2. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

?? Don't know, I tried ZA 6 but it was somehow blocking my ebay cookie, so I went back to ZA 4...

I liked the features, and it worked well enough.. but just couldn't get it to allow the cookie, so I dumped it..

3. bordercollie

bordercollie

Stoner Hiya - I use Zone Alarm and have always recommended it to my friends. I don't want to sound 'thick' here, but unfortunately I am going to LOL. What exactly does it mean 'phones home'. Is it something I should worry about? and should I change to something else? Sorry I'm not very up on these things. :) and my son is away on holiday at the moment and so I can't ask him. :)

4. Stoner

Stoner Banned Thread Starter

From the article, it seems the ZA application is connecting with 4 servers and communicating with them.
    Even when the firewall is set to not allow that activity.

What info is transfered seems to be unknown.
    It seems suspicious as ZA first denied it was happening.

I don't use ZA....never liked it from the first time I tried it 5 years ago.

I don't know the specifics of what is happening with ZA, I thought it was appropriate to post the article so users at TSG could become aware of it and follow up on the situation :)

5. hewee

hewee

I have Zone Alarm Pro 4.x and love it. Works great (y)

6. Mr.Welder

Mr.Welder

I use zone alarm pro and it is a bit un-nerving that it could be spying on me,that is a definate pet peeve of mine.

7. hewee

hewee

8. Fidelista

Fidelista

Software apps communicating with "home" is common and --is not necessarly "spying".
    There are other reasons -looking for updates being but one.
    I don't like it, but I doubt ZA is spying in any negative sense of word. >f

9. hewee

hewee

10. SIR****TMG

SIR****TMG

Can't spy on me..............I don't use it.........................

11. hewee

hewee

I use it but do not have the version they are talking about and I don't think it is spying really either from what it says.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/436490

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice