1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Zone Alarm

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by weldyguy, Sep 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. weldyguy

weldyguy Thread Starter

Hi everyone,
    I can't seem to reinstall Zone Alarm Pro. When I attempt to install it I get the messages VSDB.DLL file is linked to missing export VSUTIL.DLL: wsnprintf, A devise attached to the system is not functioning, and Could not execute the external program C:\Windows\System\Zone Labs\VSMON.EXE.
    I used system file check to look for missing or corrupted files, and replaced those found from OS disc, but still get the same messages. I tried the Zone Lab site, but that was not much help either.
    My OS is 98SE. Thank You
    Weldyguy

2. BillC

BillC

I think there are some remnants of ZoneAlarm if you had it installed before. Try completely uninstalling ZA.... you will have to do it manually.

Here is the best place Zone Labs has for instruction:Click here. Then clean out your temp folder, delete the internet logs folder and delete the installation file and then empty the recycle bin. Then reboot the computer, redownload the instalation file, then turn everything that is running in the background off and then reinstall ZA

3. weldyguy

weldyguy Thread Starter

You're right Bill, I still have Zone Alarm listed in add remove programs in my controll panel. But when i try to remove it i get the message "Could not load the DLL library C:\Windows\System\Vsutil.dll(WSEIS Module Running)":confused: The specified procedure could not be found.
    I also tried that link you included, but it came up " Page can't be found.
    Weldyguy

4. zeddy

zeddy

5. weldyguy

weldyguy Thread Starter

Thanks Zeddy, I just read their uninstall information, but i'm unable to do step 1, run the uninstaller program. Do i just start deleting all the files they mention that are associated with Zone Alarm?

6. zeddy

zeddy

i saw this link - its a bit of a chore to do but....................

uninstalling ZA

Make sure that you have followed the steps below first

- Step 1. The most important step in uninstalling or upgrading is to make sure that ZoneAlarm and its underlying TrueVector service are not running. If TrueVector is left running, certain files may not be removed or replaced.

To unload the TrueVector Service, go to the Configure panel and uncheck the box labeled: "Load ZoneAlarm at Windows startup" or "Load ZoneAlarm Pro at startup," then reboot..

If this box is grayed out: open the Internet Logs directory (in 95/98/ME this will be "c:\windows\internet logs", in NT and 2000 it will be c:\winnt\internet logs), where you will find a file called "iamdb.rdb" and a file named after your computer with the ".ldb" extension. Delete both of these files.

If you are unable to delete these files: you'll need to boot into Safe Mode in complete the task at hand.

If you are running Windows 95, 98, Me, or 2000, normally either pressing F8 at the beep, or holding the control key during bootup.

If you are running Windows NT and cannot delete these files, you may need to restart your machine from an NTFS boot disk. The following link explains how to create a bootable disk for an NTFS or FAT partition:

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q119/4/67.asp?LN=EN-US&SD=g

If you use the Desk Band feature, this should be disabled before uninstalling or upgrading ZoneAlarm.

To do this, right-click any unused portion of the taskbar at the bottom of the screen, select "Toolbars," and uncheck "ZoneAlarm Desk Band" (or "ZoneAlarm Pro Desk Band")."

- Step 2. REBOOT Windows (very important).

7. BillC

BillC

Weldyguy...sorry about the link. And thanks to Zeddy for clearing that up. If you still can not unistall, you have some remnants and this may be the easiest way to uninstall.

Download the pro version of ZA 4.0 again from ZoneAlarm and go thru the whole thing like you were going to leave it on, select a clean install when it asks. Next go into the start menu and the zonelabs entry and right click on the uninstaller and select properties.

Now in the target box you need to add a space and then /clean to the end so that it looks something like this C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe /clean
    then click apply and then OK.

Open ZA and turn off the load on boot option, then reboot and then run the uninstaller (the one you change the shortcut for This will get rid of ZA for you.Now go to your windows temp folder and delete everything, then find the folder named Internet logs and delete it then empty your recycle bin. ZA should be gone.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164716

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice