1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Zone and Avast at same time???

Discussion in 'General Security' started by Boxeador, Dec 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Boxeador

Boxeador Thread Starter

I am running Avast and Zone Alarm (both free editions) instead of buying Norton. My friend who is my tech guy is still in Afghanistan and I don't want to bother him with this. I am using these antivirus programs at his advice; of course he has a much better system than I do.

My pc is about 5 years old: emachines T3985, Celeron CPu 2.93 GHz w/ 496 or ram. Windows XP, Home Edition 2002, Service Pack 3.

I am fair with tech knowledge. I can't afford a new pc, so this one will have to do.....Anyway; my pc will not open any programs when it is turned on (like starting after being shut down). I have to manually turn it off 5-8 times before anything will open up. When I click on Outlook, or Explorer, it does nothing. I have CCleaner which I run often to try and clean any spyware off it.

Do I need both of these antivirus programs. I noticed today that when the Zone alarm icon is not in the tray, the pc will not open up. When it's there, everything works fine.

I still have this pc due to money and I have a web site (CUTE Site Builder) that I have for my part time business, that won't work with XP.

Is is memory, too many programs running or the antivirus programs? Please forgive me if thsi is not the correct forum, as I'm sure someone will let me know.

If anyone can assist me, it will be greatly appreciated.

2. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    As a policy you should always have one, exactly one, and only one Antivirus running on a machine at a given instant. The interactions between your antivirus program and your computer are very complex, and require your antivirus to have nearly unrestrained access to your network, files, and programs if it is to be effective. Introducing a second such program into the mix causes conflicts when both attempt to monitor the same files at the same time. It is true that there are some viruses that certain packages don't detect, and the intuitive response is to install more Antivirus programs to fill the gap. In practice however you will slow down your system and in some cases leave it less protected than it would be with either program in place alone.

If you had the ZoneAlarm free firewall (and didn't have the Antivirus) then the restriction should not apply. However it appears that there is a particular conflict between AVG and ZoneAlarm in general I'm not certain of the particulars but the results are not good.

I would certainly advise you to get rid of at least one of those two programs. While you have to make sure that you always have an Antivirus, Avira and MSE are lighter on system resources and therefore more suitable for an older slower machine, if you would replace both of your current defences with one of them.

If that doesn't resolve matters we can look at other possibilities.

I do not understand your point about CUTE Site Builder, but I doubt it's relevant to the immediate issue of getting the computer into usable condition so I'll deal with it if I can afterwards.

3. Boxeador

Boxeador Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I am in the process of downloading each of the antivurus programs you suggested. I will use one and keep the other in case I need to switch for some reason.

Where do I post a general question on pc help (memory, CUTE Site builder, etc)?

Thanks again for your time and assistance!

4. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    That will depend upon the question. For Site builder I'd probably opt for Web Design and Development.
    For generally freeing up memory go for the forum for your own OS, Windows XP.

5. E-7

E-7

If you are using zone alarm free that's a firewall only, no antiivirus. http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en-us/zonealarm-pc-security-free-firewall.htm

You can find out what you're using by opening the zone alarm interface and I think it's in the overview tab where it lists the product name and version. See below, it's an old link, but I think the information still applies on finding the zone alarm product information and version

http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en-us/support/windows-xp-sp2-information-center-faqs.htm

6. Boxeador

Boxeador Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies and advice! I deleted Zone and Avast and installed the free Avira. My pc is running much smoother, but I still have some issues. I will go to the other forums and look for some solutions. Thanks for your time and effort!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971009

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice