ZoneAlarm and Windows XP

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Puritan

I used to run ZoneAlarm with 98 and I intended to do the same with XP (I don't trust Microsoft's supposedly built-in firewall, either in effectiveness or intent). But XP's internet works different than 98, and I think I keep tripping something I'm not supposed to be tripping. ZoneAlarm will often ask me if some blank program should access the internet or act as a server (i.e. "do you want to access the internet", with nothing in between want and to). I think I have to say yes to that, because I said no once and now I cannot access the internet while ZoneAlarm is working. This blank program, however, does not show up in ZoneAlarm's list of programs, so there is no way that I can turn it on.

There are also other programs in there that are apparently part of XP, like the Application Layer Gateway and the Win32 services or something, and I'm not sure what they do. I'd like to give as little access to the internet to all of these internal processes as possible (while still being able to access the internet). I haven't been able to receive ICQ file transfers lately, although I was able to in 98, and I'm wondering if these programs are somehow to blame.

I think they might have some effect, but since they are visible, I can remove them, but that doesn't help; I think that blank program is the key, but there's no way to get it back or to get Zone Alarm to ask me about that program again.

Is anyone else running ZoneAlarm with XP, have they gotten it to work, and if so, do you know exactly what you have to allow in order to access the internet and what you can bar?

I run ZoneAlarm with XP and also experience the unknown program asking to get out. Once I said No and couldn't access the Internet. Other times when I've said No, I can still get online. I don't know what it is!

Other than that, the only programs I've allowed access (from the top of my head because I'm not at home right now) are my browsers, Liveupdate, and message subsystem (or whatever) for Outlook.
There may be one or two more. I'll let you know later tonight when I get home.

Del

I have run Tiny Personal Firewall with Win XP and it worked fine.
Tried the built in firewall XP has and went to grc.com and tested the firewall for leaks, seemed like it wasn't even on. Installed Tiny Personal Firewall and it was secure.
Also tried the new eTrust EZ Armor, 2 month free trial, has the AntiVirus, Firewall and Desktop Shield all there and it worked fine.
Neither one seems to affect my speed for surfing or downloading.

The site for grc.com is:
http://grc.com/default.htm

The site for Tiny Personal Firewall is:
http://www.webattack.com/php/download.php?id=3049&app=tinyfw

The site for eTrust is:
http://www1.my-etrust.com/

Hope this helps:
Del

i have an extremley annoying problem also when i try to close zonealarm in XP, it just reboots my machine, no shut down, just BANG, rebooted. It also stops any access to the network over my LAN so others sharing my internet cant get on. ive tried all the advanced options, entering IP's and subnet masks.

Zone Labs, sort your act out! Im going to try Norton Firewall 2002, i hated 2001 but i heard good things about 2002

I got the latest Zone Alarm and had NO problems. It worked "too" well. I couldn't access any FTP sites or use Netscape as a browser even if it was NOT running. So it got uninstalled quick. :)

Puritan

I got ZoneAlarm to let me use the internet, but now it doesn't seem to ever remember certain settings. Every time I boot, it asks me if it wants Generic Host Process for Win32 Services to act as a server, and then if blank program can act as a server, even though I say remember my settings. What's up with that?

Del

I've done tech support for cable and DSL service for 2 1/2 years and whenever I get a call like I can't surf. The only firewall I have ever run into that was causing problems, was Zone Alarm. I used it myself for a long time with no problems. The only fact that I am trying to state is that I have never found Black Ice, Tiny Personal Firewall or any other one causing a problem.
Just my experience for what it's worth.
Del

I was going to start a new thread til I saw this one...
What I wanted to know was whether the Win XP firewall:
1) is any use
2) can be disabled to allow an alternartive firewall to be used.
I guess these questions have kind of been answered here already, so here's some new ones...

I will be installing XP shortly and haven't used a firewall myself before. I've been round this site long enough to know that most people reccommend ZA cos it's 'relatively' straight forward and capable, and of course, free. But if it doesn't work with XP, is it worth waiting for a new ZA update/patch? Or is TPF worth a look instead? Or some other alternative?
What's the problem with the WinXP firewall?
Also, out of interest, how big (in Mbs) are these firewalls?

My brother has been running his PC with no firewal and no AV software for about a year (!). I downloaded AVG and installed it about a week ago, and it found no problems, no resident viruses. Last night, AVG picked up the Nimda worm on his system! I think he'd ran some uninstall program that must have contained the worm.
So, when I get my PC up and running, I'm determined to get the AV and firewall set up before anything else.

Cheers,
Gram

buck52

Banned
Howdy

Gram123... Can't be of to much help but I'll note that I have XP and Zone Alarm (free). For internet connection I had to allow Generic Host Process for Win32 Services to connect but not allow to act as server.

never used Black Ice or Tiny so I can't comment

XP's intergrated firwall can be disabled...Click start\My Network Places then under Network Tasks click View network connections then right click on the Local Area Connection icon that come up and click properties then on the advanced tab there it will be. :)

hope that helps some

buck

Cheers Buck - I appreciate your comments.
Do you mean you are running both firewalls in tandem? I figured you'd use one or the other, or that the XP one might interfere with ZA.
And is ZA running fine on your system?

Anyone else got answers to my other qs?

Thanks

Gram

buck52

Banned
Howdy Gram

I have the XP firewall turned off

ZA seems to be working fine as long as I allow that Generic Host Process for Win32 Services to connect

buck

buck52

Banned
Gram

"What's the problem with the WinXP firewall? "

I have read that the XP firewall does nothing to stop outbound traffic

buck

Cheers again Buck.
I'll keep the the URL for this thread handy for when I eventually do get set up (est. March 2002!).

It's pretty mad, but I bought this PC a few months ago and it was a pretty good system at the time (AMD 1Gb HD, 128Mb memory, Win 98) but before I've even had a chance to set it up as my main (or only) PC, it's already getting severely outclassed.
The rate at which PCs improve seems to greatly surpass that of other technological media.
Since buying my base unit (and all prior to setting it up), I've bought (and perhaps felt that I had to buy) an additional 256Mb memory, a set of Mercury speakers with a sub-woofer, a 17" monitor, a GeForce 2 - 64Mb MX400 graphics card (my PC came with 16Mb onboard graphics), and Win XP will be installed on or around Chrsitmas day (!). But the system already seems outdated. Especially by the advances in processor capacity.

Ah well, we still have a handful of PCs at work running on Celeron 333Mhz with 32Mb memory and Win 95, so that makes me feel a bit better.
I guess it also puts things in perspective - I feel like it 's pretty easy to get obsessed with upgrading your PC, the same as it can be with tweaking what you've got (see http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?threadid=56891)

Gram

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online